PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw help

Mike Wellner
10-01-2008, 7:21 PM
I brought a 2002 vintage Delta 28-212. It ran when I came to pick it up, however once I unloaded it the next day, it won't run. Is there some sort of safety device? What could be going on here?

It has a Marathon 1hp electric motor

Tom Veatch
10-01-2008, 8:14 PM
What's going on? Well, you either are, or are not getting power to the motor. Time to break out the multimeter and see where the problem lies. Start at the wall socket. If you have the correct voltage at the socket, check at the motor. If you don't have voltage at the motor, check at the motor side of the switch, and keep moving back along the circuit until you isolate the fault. Then, you've got a shot at fixing the problem.

Calvin Crutchfield
10-04-2008, 10:22 AM
2002 and vintage in the same sentence? Is this merely b/c it is still a USA made version?

Never mind, I see your point now. Note to self: Don't try to understand anything at 7am!

Mike Wellner
10-09-2008, 8:56 PM
It was the switch, the inside was clogged with walnut sawdust.
I paid $495 for the saw, should I ask for a refund for the price of a new switch unit? Not sure if thats proper.
I would like recomendations on a switch unit, one with a lockout would be nice, but it must last longer than the factory unit.

Thanks

Jim Knishka
10-09-2008, 10:32 PM
I think you have to eat the cost of the switch. The previous owner obviously didn't know that it was one throw away from conking out, and we all buy used machines after weighing the cost benefit of the savings vs. the risk. If I sold you the machine I would feel badly and make it up to you, but on the other hand if I were in your shoes I would recognize that it was the chance I was taking in not buying a new machine and not ask for an adjustment. He sold it in good faith, you bought it in good faith.

Tom Esh
10-09-2008, 11:05 PM
I would like recomendations on a switch unit, one with a lockout would be nice, but it must last longer than the factory unit.

Grizzly has a nice assortment:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/category.aspx?key=275010

I put one of the large paddle types on my BS.