PDA

View Full Version : used table saw choices/opinions needed

Craig Johnson
10-01-2008, 6:41 PM
Hello everyone.
First post here at Sawmill Creek.
I have become very interested in woodworking. I built an A frame chicken coop for my wife earlier this year and really enjoyed it. Although not the most challenging project I have ever done, the level of satisfaction once completed was very high. I have thought about this and now I want to upgrade my workbench and possibly in the future make some things that are more challenging. I will be building a 10x10 shed in the spring hopefully.
Heres my question-
I am in the market for a used table saw. I have done some research online and I think I have a good idea what is good or not. I would like your opinions on some local Craigslist choices. I want to stick with the quality products ahd stay away from the less than good ones. I would prefer to buy just one and have it last a long time.
I am like most others who have a limited initial budget. This will be my first table saw.

Here are some choices from my local Craiglist. Basically what I would like to know is are these respectable prices/ choices I have made regarding good, accurate saws. All opinions welcome.

Thanks guys.

Jet JWTS-10JF 400.00
Grizzly Z series 350.00
Delta Unisaw 595.00
Delta Contractors saw II # 36-640 250.00

Gary Lange
10-01-2008, 7:00 PM
Of all those I would say the Delta Unisaw! I see it as being the most accurate of all those and the best saw.

Curt Harms
10-01-2008, 7:15 PM
Of all those I would say the Delta Unisaw! I see it ass being the most accurate of all those and the best saw.

A Unisaw for $595 is pretty attractive. It depends on condition. Try to cut some wood on it if you can. Work the elevation and tilt mechanisms to make sure they have full travel and are smooth. If they don't have full travel or are not smooth, be sure about why. Make SURE it's not 3 phase. The newer Grizzly stuff is well regarded, the older Grizzly stuff was a little hit and miss. Some models were well regarded, others less so. I seem to recall the Delta Contractor II saw having issues but I don't recall what those issues were.

HTH

Curt

Tom Veatch
10-01-2008, 8:37 PM
I'm not familiar enough with the various model to say for sure, but I think all those you listed are contractor style saws except for the unisaw. Personal opinion only, but I lean heavily toward the cabinet style such as the unisaw.

If, as you say, it's a case of "buy just one and have it last a long time", I'd lean especially hard toward the unisaw. As mentioned, unless you have 3-phase power readily available, be sure it has a single phase motor, and that you can easily/inexpensively get 240v power to the saw.

It is the most expensive one in your list, but assuming it's in good condition requiring little more than a good alignment to be placed in service, it stands the best chance of being the most satisfactory for the longest time.

In fact, unless you expand your operation into a professional, high production, cabinet shop operation, I seriously doubt your "needs" would ever outgrow the capabilities of the saw.

Craig Johnson
10-01-2008, 9:31 PM
Well of course that is the most expensive one on the list.
I must add that it would be difficult for me to come up with that much right now for the Unisaw.
My other question is what about the older Jet table saws?
Does anyone know if there were issues with those?
It would really be nice to afford the Unisaw but that one is a bit too much money right now. The jet for 400.00 is more in my price range.

Brian Clevenger
10-01-2008, 11:03 PM
I've worked with both an older blue Jet and a Contractor II.

The Jet I had was bought used, but still in good condition. The aluminum fence is not the greatest, but workable. I had a few issues with the aligning rods; but when I learned to quit bevelling the blade, the problem went away. :cool: I never considered investing in PALS, it was easier to just sell the saw.

Back in college I worked on a crew that used a Contractor II on every jobsite.
[background---- up to that point: I had woodworking in jr. high, worked on a trim/cabinet crew (that used a model 10 Delta) in the summers while in high school, and a short stint in a cabinet shop that ran a couple of Unis the summer I graduated.]
About a week into the job, I was asked to cut some strips of basswood for some built-ins . The boss soon found out that he could let me go if he had to, but I wasn't spending any more time on that table saw. I got to keep the job, and I never ripped another board on that saw.

As far as the Z-series, I've only seen the Shop Fox clone at Elliot's hardware, and it looked to be a very nice contractor saw. It would have to be better than the Contractor II, and probably on par with the new white Jet, Delta Industrial, and the Ridgid. It seems a little overpriced, but that could depend on the fence and accessories.

In view of all of that, it would be hard to pass on a nice Uni at a good price.

Craig Johnson
10-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Thanks guys. I appreciate your opinions.

scott spencer
10-02-2008, 7:13 AM
If you've got 220v and it's in good condition, the Uni is in a different league than the others.

Bill ThompsonNM
10-02-2008, 7:14 AM
If $400 is more your price, start by visiting the unisaw and politely offering $400, who knows, maybe the seller will want to help you get started, or can think of a way you getting the saw in exchange for some work, . . I think of it as 10 times the value of the other saws, go fight for it and start off a serious shop.