PDA

View Full Version : Any baseball fans left out there?

Joe Pelonio
10-01-2008, 6:02 PM
Our team, the Mariners, ended with the worst record in the AL, but I still have some interest in the playoffs. In fact I had the TV on and saw the Phillies beat the Brewers while working just now.

Anyone have a prediction for the World Series?

Some interesting possibilities, all L.A. (Dodgers vs Angels) or all Chicago
(Cubs vs White Sox), though I'm personally hoping for the Cubs and Tampa Bay. I like to see different teams make it once in a while.

Wes Bischel
10-01-2008, 6:43 PM
I don't really follow it, but I'm still hoping for the "Subway Series"! (Cubs/White Sox):D

Wes

Jim O'Dell
10-01-2008, 6:53 PM
You mean the STRangers are out of it?? :D Probably won't watch much of the October games. I mean, Hockey starts Friday, doesn't it? ;) Jim.

Chris Padilla
10-01-2008, 7:08 PM
My Rockies layed a big egg after their showing last season but I can never get enough baseball!! I hate the AL (DH rule) but am going for the Rays. It might be fun to see the Cubs in it as well. I've got a good buddy who will pay top dollar to see a game if they make it to the WS!

Ben Rafael
10-01-2008, 7:15 PM
I betting on Dodgers vs. White Sox.

Greg Cole
10-01-2008, 7:17 PM
I mean, Hockey starts Friday, doesn't it? ;) Jim.

Sweet music to my ears Jim!!!!! Even coming from a Stars fan....:rolleyes:
Center Ice on order, let's DROP THE PUCK, eh?

Baseball? What is this game of which you speak? LOLOLOL

Greg

Rob Bodenschatz
10-01-2008, 7:29 PM
Go Phightins!!!

Ben Davis
10-01-2008, 9:46 PM
Going for the Rays, but as I kid I grew up watching summer Cubs baseball with my grandfather. It would be hard to not root for the them if they make the big one. Who can argue with a 100 year drought!

Chuck Saunders
10-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Dodgers are one closer. I have been a fan too long to get excited yet.

jeremy levine
10-02-2008, 9:45 AM
The Mets have "violated" me once again.

Clifford Mescher
10-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Big baseball fan since I was little tike. Quit during 1994 strike. Used the time for woodworking and house renovation. No regrets. Clifford.

Mark Patoka
10-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Like Clifford, the '94 strike turned me off completely, and all the drug issues and uncapped salaries haven't helped any. I do still follow the Brewers (WI native) and have taken the family to a few games for the atmosphere/check out a new ballpark but just have never gotten back into it like when I was a kid.

So I'm rooting for the Brew Crew and like it when different/underdog teams make it to the series. Even the BoSox breaking their curse was fun.

Greg Narozniak
10-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Being a Yankee fan my season is over but my one wish is that Joe Torre and the Dodgers spank the Red Sox. That would be the only Present I need this year :)

Chuck Saunders
10-03-2008, 8:08 AM
Dodgers are one closer. I have been a fan too long to get excited yet. But I am starting to smile.

Bob Moyer
10-03-2008, 8:53 AM
I am a lifelong Phillies fan; :(:(:( Enjoying a two game streak of success, hopefully my namesake can end it on Saturday.

A couple of interesting matchups for the WS; although a Wndy city WS appears to be out of the question.

A Manny led Dodger team vs. the Redsox would be interesting; although I would prefer not to see the Redsox (my 2nd favorite team) in the WS again.

My choice obviously would be a Phillies vs WhiteSox (Thome)

Ken Fitzgerald
10-03-2008, 9:00 AM
In the condos in Pewaukee, WI where I'm staying they have HBO. Last night I got to see Bob Costas interview Willie Mays and Hank Aaron. What a remarkable show......Mays and Aaron both......not dumb jocks but intelligent gentlemen who have a tremendous sense of humor, wit and a sense of love and respect for the game. Their stories...sad and homurous were an interesting hour.

Craig D Peltier
10-03-2008, 10:33 AM
I like two teams only, the red sox and whoever beats the wankees.

Jeff Wright
10-03-2008, 3:37 PM
Anyone have a prediction for the World Series?

Some interesting possibilities, all L.A. (Dodgers vs Angels) or all Chicago
(Cubs vs White Sox), though I'm personally hoping for the Cubs and Tampa Bay. I like to see different teams make it once in a while.

I attended the Tampa Rays/White Sox game last night - the opener. Evan Longoria was impressive! White Sox had some stupid plays . . . one batter was half way down to first base thinking he was thrown ball four when it was really ball three (must have felt pretty dumb). On another play the Rays' Gabe Gross attemted to steal second base, the Sox's pitcher threw the ball to first (rather than deliver to home plate), and the first baseman held the ball (while Gross was only half way to second) and never threw it . . . he just stood there like he didn't know what to do with it. He finally sheepishly threw it back to the pitcher and the game played on. Never saw such a thing!

The Rays are REAL tough to beat in their home field (15 minutes from my home). They won something like 21 out of their last 22 at home field.

Used to be a Phillies fan having moved from Philly to St Petersburg FL five years ago.

Mark Rios
10-03-2008, 11:31 PM
Out here in the West Coast we baseball fans have heard rumors of baseball being played in October but we're really not sure if it's true or not. Kinda like for us West Coast football fans......someone told me one time the football was played in January and I laughed at him for a week. I mean, everybody knows that football ends in December, right?

Rob Bodenschatz
10-04-2008, 3:11 PM
Used to be a Phillies fan having moved from Philly to St Petersburg FL five years ago.

Some fan. :rolleyes:

Benjamin Dahl
10-05-2008, 9:07 AM
well the Cubs let me down again. I should know better than getting my hopes up, but this year was feeling different. Guess not.

Wes Bischel
10-05-2008, 1:52 PM
It's the GOAT!!:eek::eek::D

Craig Nickles
10-05-2008, 8:27 PM
I cant say much.............I'm a Reds fan :mad::D:confused::p

Chuck Saunders
10-05-2008, 9:15 PM
On to the NLCS.

Eric Franklin
10-05-2008, 11:43 PM
I have a problem with a major league sport when the players can barely run 90 ft(the distance from home to first plate) and still get paid millions.

With the Tiger's & Lion's as my home teams, what's postseason play?

All I can say is go Wings and hopefully go Pistons!

Rob Bodenschatz
10-06-2008, 11:17 AM
I have a problem with a major league sport when the players can barely run 90 ft(the distance from home to first plate) and still get paid millions

How far do golfers run?

:rolleyes:

Clifford Mescher
10-06-2008, 12:31 PM
How far do golfers run?

:rolleyes:
Depends on how far away the 19th hole is. Clifford

Glenn Clabo
10-06-2008, 12:48 PM
I have a problem with a major league sport when the players can barely run 90 ft(the distance from home to first plate) and still get paid millions.

I'd bet you've never tried to hit a baseball thrown by a big league pitcher.

Chris Padilla
10-06-2008, 2:44 PM
I'd bet you've never tried to hit a baseball thrown by a big league pitcher.

Odds are good most people have never had that pleasure but then it would be over before you know it!! 90 mph isn't a fastball...it is a "ineverevensawit" ball! ;)

Rob Bodenschatz
10-06-2008, 4:12 PM
This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

"I ain't an athlete, lady ... I'm a baseball player." - John Kruk, on being asked why he smokes and drinks even though he plays a sport professionally.

Eric Larsen
10-06-2008, 8:39 PM
I had a buddy in Florida who pitched in the minors. He could throw a 95mph fastball, but had control issues. He's like 60 now, but can still toss one in the mid-80s.

The balls hiss as they approach. Scary stuff. (Especially when you're batting vs. someone you know has "control issues.")

I should really take up batting practice again. Five bucks and half an hour for the best stress relief ever. It's the right weather for it, too...

Ken Fitzgerald
10-06-2008, 9:15 PM
While I've never batted against a 95 mph fast ball....

My wife once wore a World Series ring belonging to Blue Moon Odom one evening. He was friend of a neighbor. He played on the San Diego Padres farm team that was in Lewiston, Idaho. In fact, Reggie Jackson played on that team. Odom was in town for a celebrity golf match and attended a cookout at our neighbors house. My wife was admiring his ring and he asked her if she'd like to wear it. He seemed like a pretty humble and likeable person.