PDA

View Full Version : Louvered Lamp

David Wilson
05-15-2004, 1:21 PM
Here is another of my completed projects. It is based on a plan in Woodsmith but I modified it some. The plan had the louver control bars on the outside which I didn't like so I basicly assembled it backwards with the control bars on the inside. I also added a couple of nylon washers on each end of the # 6 louver
on each side to add some friction so the louvers stay where you adjust then.
The lamp has 2 xenon lo voltage puck fictures, one on the bottom and pointing up and another on the top pointing down. The brass thumb screws are for bulb replacement.

Thanks for lookinghttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=7274&stc=1

Todd Burch
05-15-2004, 1:25 PM
Neat Dave. Do you have a picture taken at night with it lit up?

Bruce Page
05-15-2004, 1:26 PM
Interesting design Dave. Nice looking lamp. What kind of wood did you use and what are the dimensions?

How about a picture of it “in use”

David Wilson
05-22-2004, 11:27 AM
Sorry about the delay in answering but it has been a hectic week. The lamp is 30" tall and rhe top and bottom are 13"X13". I built it out of cedar. Never built anything with 52 moving parts before. Here is a pic with it lit up.
Thanks for lookinghttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=7444&stc=1

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-22-2004, 12:14 PM
Dave
Very nice.
Daniel :cool:

Bruce Page
05-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Sorry about the delay in answering but it has been a hectic week. The lamp is 30" tall and rhe top and bottom are 13"X13". I built it out of cedar. Never built anything with 52 moving parts before. Here is a pic with it lit up.
Thanks for lookingNice! It has a very soothing ambiance.
Thanks for posting the pic

Tyler Howell
05-22-2004, 1:16 PM
Like it bye day love it at night!;) .

Dick Parr
05-22-2004, 1:17 PM
Very nice Dave!

Todd Burch
05-22-2004, 1:36 PM
That's just one of those things that looks better in the dark!!! (Not to take anything away from its appearance in the daytime!)

I liked your idea of putting the center stick on the inside. Now that I see it at night, I think I might consider putting the stick off to one side. Either way - it's a great lamp and I bet all your neighbors want one now.

John Miliunas
05-22-2004, 9:57 PM
That is really cool, David! With it lit up, it almost appears as thought the louvers are translucent. Very neat effect! :) Man, it must've been a real "joy" getting all those moving parts lined up at the same time for the final glue-up! :rolleyes: Nice job and gives me a few ideas for some needed indirect lighting around here! Thanks for posting! :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
05-22-2004, 10:20 PM
David, I like it! What kind of a finish did you use on that cedar? Beautiful!

David Wilson
05-23-2004, 11:10 AM
David, I like it! What kind of a finish did you use on that cedar? Beautiful!
Used spray poly. 4 coats Louvers were finished before assembly

Chris Padilla
05-24-2004, 11:42 AM
Too cool, David! Nice work.