PDA

View Full Version : Trying new turnings ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
03-12-2003, 1:45 PM
Here are a couple of things I turned today ... one's a cherry bowl I used the LDD method on and completed turning today, prior to finishing. The other is a pen I made out of cow horn. I make custom engraved powder horns as my main hobby, so I have a lot of horn tips lying around. I thought, why not, so here is number one. It turns just like a nice piece of wood. You just have to be careful when you get too thin or it will split easily. Thanks for looking.

Von Bickley
03-12-2003, 1:52 PM
Ron,

Great looking work. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Ted Shrader
03-12-2003, 1:59 PM
Ron -

I really like the pen! Looks cool.

Ted

Scott Greaves
03-12-2003, 2:42 PM
Hi Ron,

They both look great! I really like that pen though. I'm surprised you can get a piece long enough to turn. Is it the rare horn that results in a piece that long? Or is it quite common? How big around are they at the thin end? (Yes, I know cow horns come to a point, but do you think there would be enough thickness left at the length you'd need for, say, a cigar pen?)

Scott.

03-12-2003, 2:56 PM
I have several horns that have a thickness of up to a couple of inches that are solid four or five inches long ... depends on the horn of course, but yes, in answer to your question, it is easy to get a horn with enough thickness to do a cigar pen. I just haven't progressed that far yet ...

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
03-12-2003, 8:40 PM
Hi Ron,

Nice work, the pen looks excellent!

take care,
Jim

robertfsmith
03-12-2003, 8:58 PM
Glad to see you didn't use a Texas Long-Horn for that pen, or you'd need two hand to write with it.:D

Just kiddin'

The pen looks awesome, very resourceful use of materials. Good job!

Glenn Hodges
03-13-2003, 9:56 AM
Nice work, I do like that cherry. What kind of finish did you use on the bowl?

Ron McNeil
03-13-2003, 12:29 PM
Hello Ron, I must say you seem to be progressing quite well in your turning. I like your pen, the horn looks great. Your bowl looks very nice also. Thanks for showing:p

03-13-2003, 1:06 PM
... What kind of finish did you use on the bowl? [/B][/QUOTE]

I only have a mineral oil finish on it, since the lady that requested it wants to put fruit in it. I like the Cherry also. I have fourteen 8 foot logs that average 20 - 24 inches around that I'm cutting blanks out of. It looks like I'll be doing cherry for a while.