PDA

View Full Version : Which nailer to use, when?

Joe Johnson MI
10-01-2008, 3:08 PM
I recently purchased the Porter Cable Three Nailer/Compressor Combo Kit (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100497650)from Home Depot. It comes with a crown stapler, brad nailer and finish nailer.

1-1/4 in., 18 ga. brad nailer; 2-1/2 in., 16 ga. finish nailer; 1 in. narrow crown stapler
What are the best applications for each nailer? I've used the brad nailer for some cabinet work, and general furniture repair. But I'm not sure where the line would be to switch to the stapler (on the down side) or the finish nailer (on the larger side).

Bill White
10-01-2008, 3:34 PM
18ga for cabinet trim (crown, scribe, etc.).
16 ga for house trim ( door facing, crown, chair rail).
Staples for cabinet backs, paneling (under battens or scribe), or other thin "skins" where a brad might pull through the material.

At some point you might want to add a 23 ga for small trim like battens or scribe molding and crown corners (with glue).
Bill

Jim Becker
10-01-2008, 4:17 PM
The 16 gage gun, while often called a "finish nailer" is really just a brad nailer that takes slightly larger brads than the 18 gage gun. It's good for longer fasteners, especially when doing work like house trim as already noted by Bill. The stapler is good for cabinet backs and other situations where you want to fasten more flexible and thin material in a project and the fasteners will not be seen. (Staples are hard to hide...)

In other words, you'll likely use the 18 gage gun the most for general purpose work.