PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Damage Poll

Anthony Whitesell
10-01-2008, 1:53 PM
Given that I just made my first purchase that will be delivered by a freight company and I'm worried about damage like a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs, I would like those of you who have shipped or received stuff by freight to chime in on the poll above.

Peter Quadarella
10-01-2008, 2:02 PM
Anthony, all I can say is don't get your hopes up too high. Make sure you write the damage, no matter how slight, even a tiny tear in the cardboard or whatever, on the slip you sign.

Either way, Grizzly will make it right, no matter how many deliveries it takes.

Having low expectations is that much better if it arrives in one piece the first time.

Bill White
10-01-2008, 2:05 PM
how many options can we take. I need to check each one as least 5 times.
Bill

Anthony Whitesell
10-01-2008, 2:20 PM
I have low expectations and high hopes. I hope it doesn't get damaged but I doubt that it won't.

Mark Springer
10-01-2008, 3:02 PM
I do shipping and receiving for a living so Ive been done this road many times. If there is even so much as a smudge on the outside of the box write it down. Even if it looks like the packaging is intact do a thorough inspection. I have seen crates come in without a blemish but when opened looked like a tornado hit. Take pictures of all damage and make sure the driver calls in immediately and gets a control/exception number.

Brent Smith
10-01-2008, 3:41 PM
Same answer as Bill, different shipments...different results. One piece of advise....if something the delivery people are doing looks wrong, stop them and discuss it. I watched a jointer table crash off a tail gate because one of the helpers decided to hop off and lower the gate from the ground rather than bend over and do it. It's all well and good that you can claim for damage, but a far sight better, and much less hassle, if damage can be avoided.

Matt Meiser
10-01-2008, 3:56 PM
I have two experiences. First was with a jointer from Wilke. It arrived on a lift gate truck. There were steel tubes underneath the cardboard/wood/foam crate to allow the forks to get in. One of those was pulled about 1/2 way off but no damage. Second was a hot tub cover ordered from from a "reputable" place in California. It arrived damaged--stuck with forks--to the local terminal. They called and asked if I even wanted them to bring it out so I could see it. The place took a week an a half to get a new one reordered and then said it would be another 6 weeks for delivery despite the fact their web site claimed delivery in 4 weeks and the email they send on inspecting for damage said they would get one out in "a few days." After the ensuing argument I canceled the order, filed a complaint with the BBB, and ordered from a place in Cincinnatti who delivered it on their own truck, undamaged.

I guess my point is that damage is the luck of the draw. If the shipper is good, they'll handle it promptly. Both Amazon and Grizzly have good reputations in this regard. Others go by the letter of the law, which the average person doesn't know. Meaning if you accept it and later find damage, you could be in trouble. There was a long thread with a lot of hurt feelings here a couple years back about a well known equipment dealer who may or may not have mispackaged a piece of equipment which was damaged in shipping and created a ton of headaches and bad press for everyone involved.

Mark Springer
10-01-2008, 4:06 PM
To piggy back onto what Matt said. If you sign the waybill without getting an exception number you are receiving it as is and it is totally up to the manufacturer to replace. Some dishonest drivers will try and get you to sign for it before you have a chance to inspect it because they know something happened to it and are trying to get that signature before you notice it.

Don Carter
10-01-2008, 4:59 PM
Anthony:
I just order a new lathe and it arrived on a lift gate truck. Everything looked great as I begin to put the lathe together until I got to the motor that was packed inside. It has pretty sever damage and the switch was cracked and broken. IMHO, it was not the shipping company. I think they way the manufacturer was packing the motors (very heavy) with a styrofoam cup like packing. Over time and movement the styrofoam just did not hold up and allowed the motor to bang around. I got a replacement very quickly and all is well. I did let them know what I thought the problem was so that they might make a packing change. You never know...

Peter Quinn
10-01-2008, 7:01 PM
Anthony, as noted check the carton, note any damage, sign nothing until the item has been unloaded and inspected, and open the crate promptly to check the merchandise. Every machine i have received, and there have at this point been numerous, has arrived either ABF or Old Dominion. All have been in good order, never a problem, and with one minor exception the drivers have been very courteous and helpful guys.

One guy started to get smart about my insistence to inspect before signature, I reached for my phone, asked if he had the shipping managers number or if I needed to go into the house and get it. He got a little mouthy still, I told him he could close the gate, i was refusing delivery (though I really wanted my tool!). Things cooled off quick and never got ugly. Firm but not ugly. I checked the packing, I got my stuff, he got an empty truck. Drivers hate returning with merchandise, it means more paper work at the end of a long day.

Good luck and I look forward to your gloat pictures!

Jim Mattheiss
10-01-2008, 7:09 PM
This isn't WW related . . .

During our remodel we had a bunch of appliances delivered during the project.

When we unpacked the double wall oven it was in the box UPSIDE DOWN. We had never looked at the oven upon arrival - the box was unscathed.

The salesman who helped us resolve this at Sears was double happy - they took it back without issue and since it was over 90 days later the return was debited against the first salesman and he did get a commission (double dipped so to speak).

Check things over ASAP - open undamaged boxes look at things.

All good advice.

Jim

Bruce Page
10-01-2008, 9:22 PM
I have had tons of things delivered to me, from a MM16 to a 46” Sony LCD TV. I only had one thing damaged – a plastic sawhorse which Amazon quickly & painlessly replaced. I know I’ve been lucky, but overall I think the delivery companies do an excellent job.

Rick Haigh
10-01-2008, 10:35 PM
I have been really fortunate when it comes to all kinds of shipping. Very rarely do I have damage to the container. I do not ever remember having damage on the equipment.

Good luck,
Rick

Gary Breckenridge
10-01-2008, 11:15 PM
:mad:Digital camera:mad:

Peter Quadarella
10-02-2008, 12:57 AM
I will say that since you are ordering from Grizzly, don't worry too much. You should do all the things said in this thread, but don't be concerned that they won't do right if you don't get the right picture or something like that.

Anthony Whitesell
10-02-2008, 5:33 AM
Two more words. On charge.

Barry Reade
10-02-2008, 7:43 AM
All great advice. I ordered a 19" band saw (BS) from Grizzly earlier this year. I picked it up at the terminal so I could reduce the chance of damage from being on the delivery lift truck. I took my utility trailer and my wife to the frieght terminal. They brought the BS out on a fork lift. I talked to the operator on how I would like it loaded. He was very accommodating and did it the way I asked. My wife assisted me in tying it down. I used 2x4's and deck screws to block the pallet and a 4 point tie down system as the BS was assembled and vertical on the pallet. It was about 15 mi. to get home. No Problems. When I got home and opened the packing crate I disassembled the BS to the point I could get it off the trailer and then reassembled it in the shop. Grizzly was great and I had no doubts that if anyting was wrong it would be made right.:)

Anthony Whitesell
10-02-2008, 8:15 AM
I found out that the nearest terminal is almost two hours away. My truck burns 3 gallons per hour (20 MPG @ 60 MPH =3GPH). Atleast a 3 hour round trip or $36 in fuel and I still have to get it out of the truck or off the snowmobile trailer. $39 for the lift, I ordered lift gate service. I have dollies and a hand truck on hand, I can get it into the walk-out basement.

Barry Reade
10-02-2008, 8:44 AM
I understand, I just wanted you to know that you had options. And, you considered them and made your decision. Let us know how it turns out.

Jeff Duncan
10-02-2008, 10:22 AM
I'm one of the lucky ones I guess. I've had several machines shipped and all arrived pretty much on time and undamaged.
UPS on the other hand, that's a different story....
JeffD

Peter Quadarella
10-02-2008, 10:46 AM
By the way, since you ordered liftgate service and have a walk out basement I would be very surprised if the driver didn't bring the bandsaw into the basement for you. Everytime I've had a delivery the driver brought the item into the garage for me.

Thomas Pender
10-02-2008, 10:50 AM
I appreciate Peter Quinn's way of dealing with the unhelpful driver. If we were all firm with these guys, the freight companies may have to charge a bit more, but we would be more likely to receive what we thought we paid for.

That being said, it is important to note that delivery exceptions and bills of lading follow very strict legal rules - so you cannot treat them informally. Always note exceptions on the bill or delivery receipt and refuse delivery if the box is messed up or the thing looks broken. You paid for new undamaged stuff, not stuff that needs to be fixed, so why should you accept it? If you have a reasonable expectation, e.g., undamaged goods and delivery as per the promised time, insist upon your expectation. Otherwise, why have any expectations at all? Do not be passive, it costs too much and you are waiving legal rights.

I feel frustrated when I read about folks having to take some fairly extreme steps to have to deal with poor service. I find that if you put up with poor service, that is what you receive, plus you establish a new floor which everyone then has to contend with.

I also never pay for anything but with a credit card - really increases your leverage.

I agree about receiving things from Grizzly - while they make a few mistakes their customer service has always treated me well. Once, I received a bandsaw from them with a crack in the support arm. They wanted me to pack the thing up (mostly assembled) and take a new saw. I was able to compromise with them. They had a new saw brought out, we switched the offending part, repacked it in the new box, and everyone was happy (I hope).