PDA

View Full Version : New turnings

Dick Gerard
10-01-2008, 9:32 AM
Here are some images of 2 new turnings.

The first is Blanco Bowl, a bleached Big Leaf Maple Burl Hollow form. 10.75 inches diameter by 7.25 tall. Opening is 2.25 inches. Comments always welcomed.

The second is a maple bowl I entitled "Cranes Amid the Cattails" after being inundated with images of cranes while watching the pre-Olympic Games runup and the games themselves. The bowl is 6 1/4 inches tall by 8 3/4 inches in diameter. Stylized cranes and cattails added via woodburning. Colors added via colored Sharpies. Comments welcomed.

The 3rd image is a close up of the second bowl.

Bernie Weishapl
10-01-2008, 9:34 AM
Dick those are beauties. I really like the bowl with the cranes. I have never tried bleaching but that looks pretty cool.

Steve Schlumpf
10-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Very interesting work Dick! Never tried bleaching but I do like the way it brings the raw form to life! Very nice form - by the way - and by erasing the wood grain it allows us to appreciate the vessel! Very cool effect!

The bowl shows a great use of imagination! Your stylized woodburning and use of color on the piece reminds me of oriental pottery.

Impressive work Dick! I look forward to seeing more of your turnings!

Richard Madison
10-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Beautiful work Dick!

I think another artist is amongst us.

Larry Heflin
10-02-2008, 1:45 PM
Very nice Dick. I especially like the drawings.

curtis rosche
10-02-2008, 2:07 PM
awsome peice of work

robert hainstock
10-02-2008, 2:09 PM
What did you use for bleach? Clorine bleach, Oxalic acid!
Nice artwork on the bowl surface. Sort of reminds me of some of the Munising ware bowls from the forties and fifties. :)

Dick Gerard
10-03-2008, 4:32 PM
The product I used is a 2 part wood bleach from Rocklers. Don't know much else about it.