PDA

View Full Version : LAGUNA TOOLS 17" Platinum Drill Press

Wade Lippman
10-01-2008, 9:18 AM
Has anyone used this?

John Thompson
10-01-2008, 10:37 AM
I didn't use it but I looked it over along with the Platinum Table Saw at IWF a month or so ago as I am in the market for a drill press. The machine is OK from a design stand-point but I personally am not going to spend that much for only 3.5" travel as it and the more expensive variable speed has.

I have more travel on a 15" DP that cost $300 and seeking more travel distance is the main reason I am making a swithch. So.. those are just my thoughts.

Sarge..

Wade Lippman
10-01-2008, 1:01 PM
My current DP has 1.5" of travel; 3.5" would be luxurious!
I am just not sure I need, or even want, 1.5hp. The outlet where I have my DP now couldn't handle it, since it has all the ceiling lights on the same circuit. I know, how hard is it to run a new outlet...

John Thompson
10-01-2008, 1:14 PM
Frankly Wade... anything beyond around dd1 HP is not needed IMO on DP which is a finesse machine designed to basically let a drill bit start and finish a small hole in most cases. I have a 1/2 HP on mine and have never seen a 1 1/2" forstner bit slow down due to power. You do have to slow the speed of those big bits down or you will scorch the bit with the big boys as you have to do the same with a router.

Good luck with your decision....

Sarge..

Mike Wilkins
10-02-2008, 9:49 AM
How often would you need more than 3.5 inches of travel anyway? Unless you are boring through 4 X 4 posts everyday, most folks don't use this much travel on a regular basis. With an adjustable, getting the work to the bit should not be much trouble. Just my 2 cents worth.

John Thompson
10-02-2008, 11:03 AM
How often would you need more than 3.5 inches of travel anyway? Unless you are boring through 4 X 4 posts everyday, most folks don't use this much travel on a regular basis. With an adjustable, getting the work to the bit should not be much trouble. Just my 2 cents worth.

Most probably don't Mike.. but I do. That's why in my case I want more quill travel. If I didn't need it the DP I have for $300 is a much better value at $300 than a DP that cost $550 which does the same thing as I see it with the realization we all see things from different views.

Sarge..

Maurice Ungaro
10-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Sarge,
Since you're in Atlanta, you may want to head down to Newnan, and check out Redmond's stock of DPs. For under $300, you can get a scratch & dent Jet with pretty good travel, or buy a new Delta for around $400.

In 2004, I bought a reconditioned Delta 17-968 (variable speed, 4" travel, 3/4 hp) for $420. It's the last DP I'll ever have to buy.

Jet 16-1/2" Drill Press (S&D) - 4 &3/8" quill stroke
List Price: $516.00
Your Price: $269.95

Delta 16.5" Laser Drill Press - 3 &7/8" quill stroke
List Price: $696.46
Your Price: $404.95

Matt Hutchinson
10-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Steel City's drill press has a quill stroke of 6", and from now until the end of the year the rebate is doubled. It's quite a good buy for a new 17" press.

Hutch

James Hart
10-02-2008, 1:02 PM
Sarge,
Since you're in Atlanta, you may want to head down to Newnan, and check out Redmond's stock of DPs. For under $300, you can get a scratch & dent Jet with pretty good travel, or buy a new Delta for around $400.

In 2004, I bought a reconditioned Delta 17-968 (variable speed, 4" travel, 3/4 hp) for $420. It's the last DP I'll ever have to buy.

Last week I picked up a Delta 17-950L 16.5" Laser DP for $369 minus $50 Delta rebate and $50 Lowes gift card= $269. Fit and finish were very good, ran very smoothly right out of the box.

John Thompson
10-03-2008, 9:37 AM
Sarge,

Thanks Maurice as I almost missed your post. For some reason post do not come up in the order they are posted on my computer causing them to get shuffled around? I have been busy with a project I started Wed. and built a new clamp ramp (over-run on 60" and overs) so I have been just spot checking on break.

I know Greg and Bob at Redmond and will mention to them to give me a call if a scratch and dent show up. Each year they do sell there floor models also to clear for the new years offerings. I also know Jim Box (the president of Steel City's brother) and if a scratch and dent shows up they will give me a call on that. They have to hold them until the freight company re-imburses. Sometimes the freight carrier will take it for salvage and sometimes they just say keep it so...

Not a big deal Maurice as I have an excellent 15 DP. It just doesn't have the quill travel I sometimes need but covers all all well. I'm in no hurry and will just wait until I basically stumble on a real deal as what I have will suffice and in the case of deeper holes.. I have alternatives.

I would really like a variable speed since I do change speed often. I do metal and use a number of Forstners that have to be slowed down but again... no big deal

Thanks for your thoughts...

Sarge..

Mike Heidrick
10-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Steel City's drill press has a quill stroke of 6", and from now until the end of the year the rebate is doubled. It's quite a good buy for a new 17" press.

Hutch

This is an awesome DP and a great deal!! Worth repeating your post. Thanks!!!

John Thompson
10-03-2008, 1:18 PM
This is an awesome DP and a great deal!! Worth repeating your post. Thanks!!!

I do believe all Steel City tools that currently have a rebate on their web-site have been doubled until the end of year....

Regards...

Sarge..