PDA

View Full Version : unabashed gloat

Walt Quadrato
05-15-2004, 12:34 PM
After spending 3 days and 60 or so walking miles at Brimfield with not a lot to report, let's just say I was disappointed. So I figure; let's just hit the local market this morning for ha ha's. Well, this flea is decent for tools but never any great shakes; but it's small and easy to soak it in, in 15 minutes. So I start the walk......first aisle..nothing...second aisle...nothing...getting bored now....third aisle....some boxes of junk..gotta look in the boxes... ;) #55 with all the parts..including blades for hollows and rounds & beader blades..in the same box a #71 early type with all the extras...bottom of the box..#66 fences & blades(gloatable price so I pick up the whole box )...few more aisles...#5 1/4 type 18 clean and ready to use..in the bag it goes....another aisle....searching diligently now.... :eek: WOW! a round side #604(haven't checked type yet) at a price no one can pass up. so in the bag again....more aisles of Chinese trash...then from a rust dealer I know.."hey, what do you make of this?" pulling a plane out from under the fromt seat of his van...a nice G-6..Stanley guage plane..and it's corrugated!..Well at his price I can't just leave it there ...By now my arms are tired, so I figure to dump this back in the truck...on my way back, i stop off at another dealer I know and shoot the breeze...looking around his tables I come across a really old carrige-makers scraper plane..gotta get this for my collection..cheap! May use this as a template for a few scrapers I'll make. Still haven't gotten back to the car..a few tables on I spy a nice rosewood and brass double armed marking gage..for less than a cup of DD coffee..what the heck! In the bag
So the moral of the story is...there's always another tool around the corner..and as a good friend says.."sometimes the bear eats you...sometimes you eat the bear" Boy, did he taste good! :D
Still digging stuff out of that first box! and believe it or not I passed on a lot more stuff including a #45 with one box of blades, a Sargent #5, a Sargent #4, a #18 block, and various and sundry #4's and 5's..so there's plenty left for anyone else.

walt ( tired, happy and thankful)

--------------------
there's no tool like an old tool..new site under construction
http://oldplane.com/
old site still up:
http://pages.cthome.net/bcrgraphics/tool%20works.html

Dave Anderson NH
05-16-2004, 7:09 AM
Somehow I've never seemed to find the time to get down to Brimfield and I suspect I don't live any further away than you do. I've read Sandy Moss' accounts on the Old Tools list each spring and Fall and it seems to be a treasure trove. On the other hand [Heresy Alert] I'm pretty well set for everything except more wooden molding planes.

Will you post some pictures of your haul? I'm sure a number of would like to see what condition your prizes are in.

Tom Scott
05-16-2004, 12:38 PM
Wow, Walt!
Now I would say that is definitely gloat-worthy.
Enjoy your new (old) haul.

Tom

Walt Quadrato
05-17-2004, 9:19 AM
Dave, Seem to have missed you at LFOD this last time around..next time... :) maybe better weather..everyone seems to look the same when soaked to the skin...trying to get some pics up on one of my pages..maybe later today.
Tom, thanks...got a few more things today..Monday morning flea..903 Vaughn & Bushnell..slew of chisels and a small bowsaw.. ;)

walt q

Stan Smith
05-19-2004, 10:46 AM
I think it's really great when someone finds some old stuff that is really worth something. I got a few planes from my wife's deceased dad from my brother-in-law. He doesn't do any woodworking but kept a couple for sentimental reasons. What could I say? I got a #5, #7, and an old wood plane that looks like it would be used to cleanout rabbets. Sad to say I'm not a collector so I probably don't appreciate the value of these. I have bought a few planes from Pat Leach (#60 1/2, #3, #5, #12, and a bullnose-don't remember the #). I'm using all these planes and also have bought a L-N low-angle smoothing plane and a small scraper plane. Also just bought a finger plane. Even though I have a shop full of power tools, I use all these planes along with my Japanese hand saws and really enjoy all of my hand tools. I have a Jet 13" planer/moulding combo and hardly ever use it now. Grabbing a hand plane just seems more expedient to me.

Stan