PDA

View Full Version : I did it (Pre-gloat)

Anthony Whitesell
10-01-2008, 8:30 AM
Based on the feedback I received here and elsewhere, I purchased the Grizzly G0513x2 17" bandsaw. The $55 lower price on eBay plus 30% live search cash back helped a bunch too.

I will post pictures when it finally arrives.

P.S. For those who were following and provided so much input to my 220V wiring thread in the Workshops forum. I thank you. I will be moving the Workshop lights to a different circuit to clear a breaker to remove, so I can install a new 220V breaker for the saw.

Edited: I've seen some posts about not being able to get a actual check from Microsoft and being forced to send the money to their PayPal Account. Here's my solution (mini-gloat), accept an offer for $75 from your credit card to open a checking account and verify said account with PayPal. Then have Microsoft send the money to PayPal, then transfer money to the checking account, then pay the credit card with the money and close the checking account. The biggest zinger is the fact that the account will stay verified with PayPal even though it's closed.

Peter Quadarella
10-01-2008, 8:34 AM
Wow, it's up to 30%?! When I bought my jointer a month ago it was only 8%. Congrats, that's awesome :).

BTW, you're going to love the saw, you made a great choice.

Jim Becker
10-01-2008, 8:39 AM
Congrats on this virtual purchase...but be sure to post pictures when it arrives to "prove" you have it! LOL

Anthony Whitesell
10-01-2008, 8:53 AM
It was a real tough choice, I've spent a year researching prices, watching sales, and saving pennies.

I've been told that I had it narrowed to the best (Rikon, Grizzly, PM). I narrowed the choices to the PM and Grizzly because they came the most well equipped from the factory (ie., I didn't have to purchase and install things separately). At the time the PM price increased 30%, I also realized by my own philosophy that with the Rikon I wouldn't have to install a riser block. I also heard rumblings that the C-frame saws may have trouble tensioning a 3/4" blade. Then someone suggested the G0513x2. With the cashback at 8% and $55 price difference on eBay, I started to lean towards the tubular frames, either the Rikon or 17" Grizzly.

At 30% off ($200 max), the choice became real easy real fast. G0513x2 for the same price as G0555x from the catalog. Sold!

Ken Fitzgerald
10-01-2008, 8:55 AM
Anthony,

There are a lot of happy Grizzley b/s owners here. I don't think you'll be disappointed! Congrats.

alex grams
10-01-2008, 8:58 AM
congrats. I have the 513x2 and couldn't be happier. Post pictures and enjoy it!

Robert Strebler
10-01-2008, 9:35 AM
Another happy g0513x2 owner. I think you'll really enjoy your choice!

Don Bullock
10-01-2008, 9:44 AM
Congratulations Anthony. After you post the pictures and prove the purchase I'd be interested in hearing how you like it and what kind of work you use it for.

Matt Campbell
10-01-2008, 9:46 AM
Anthony,

I purchased the same thing this morning using the cash back function. I wonder if we ordered the same saw? :eek:

Anthony Whitesell
10-01-2008, 10:08 AM
When I purchased it there were two left. Looks like you got the last one, Matt.

Anthony Whitesell
10-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Don, the first thing is to get it running (duh!). Then it will probably be straight to resaw, starting with a bunch of 5/4 poplar for train tracks and drawer sides.

Matt Campbell
10-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Oh, okay. Good. Then I did get the last one.

Do you have a good resaw blade picked out for it? I'm not sure what to get. I will be doing lots of resawing.

Anthony Whitesell
10-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Not yet. Still checking on choices and pricing. I wasn't expecting to purchase it so soon but at $200 off I couldn't wait.

I started a thread to try to accumulate some manufacturer/vendor options and feedback for bandsaw blades but it didn't get many hits. I'm hoping for more activity but not likely.

The list of suggestions include (in no particular order):
(Manufacturer - Vendor)
Timberwolf - Suffolk Machinery
Woodslicer - Highland Woodworking
Supercut - Supercut
Tuff Tooth - Tuff Tooth
Lennox - ?
TriMaster - ?
WoodMaster CT - ?
Blade Runner - ?

Gary McKown
10-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Definitely will need a good resaw blade - the supplied one is something like 8-10 tpi and unknown quality. The Suffolk blades I have been running on the old Craftsman have served well for quite some time, so I got a Timberwolf ½" from Grizzly while picking up the saw. It has worked great so far, but I don't yet know about longevity.

Peter Quadarella
10-01-2008, 12:37 PM
By the way, if you want the saw through ebay, you can usually contact grizzly and ask them to put it up there. I did that with my dust collector.

For blades, I would suggest starting out with a selection of timberwolf blades (3 or 4 different sizes). Once you've used them a bit you will be better equipped to determine which sizes you like and use the most, whether you want to stick with Timberwolf or spend the money on some Lennox carbide or bimetal, etc.

Greg Cole
10-01-2008, 5:04 PM
I have that same saw and like it alot.
I had the previous version and upgraded at no cost.;)
If you are going to do alot of resaw work, look into a carbide blade. For my sporatic hobbist use, I use the 3/4" Woodslicers from Highland Hardware. Good bang for the buck, but they don't live nearly as long a Lennox Trimaster.

Greg

Dave Avery
10-01-2008, 5:05 PM
Not yet. Still checking on choices and pricing. I wasn't expecting to purchase it so soon but at $200 off I couldn't wait.

I started a thread to try to accumulate some manufacturer/vendor options and feedback for bandsaw blades but it didn't get many hits. I'm hoping for more activity but not likely.

The list of suggestions include (in no particular order):
(Manufacturer - Vendor)
Timberwolf - Suffolk Machinery
Woodslicer - Highland Woodworking
Supercut - Supercut
Tuff Tooth - Tuff Tooth
Lennox - ?
TriMaster - ?
WoodMaster CT - ?
Blade Runner - ?

Anthony,

I have the 3/4" Trimaster on the 513x2 and it resaws amazingly well......

Best. Dave.

Gary Kvasnicka
10-01-2008, 6:19 PM
I have been waiting for the cashback to get above 8%. I just ordered a 514X2. Thanks for the heads up on the $200 cashback. I think I need to see a shrink, I just spent almost $1200 and I am happy about it.:confused:

Cheers,

Gary

Ross Ellis
10-01-2008, 6:31 PM
Sounds like an excellent deal. You also saved Tax compared to getting it yourself from Grizzly (if it was local). Could you add a review of this saw to this post after you have used it...I am looking very hard at this same saw.