PDA

View Full Version : help on Grizzly parts

harold brock
10-01-2008, 8:22 AM
Hey Guys and Gals,

Well, last night while changing the blade on my Grizzly 1023 table saw, I drop the arbor nut. You would think, no big deal, open the door and pick it up inside the cabinet. I have do everything but turn the saw upside down and I cannot find that nut anywhere. So I called Grizzly, the part is $2 and 8 bucks shipping, hate to do it but I was forced into ordering the nut. The guy working for Grizzly then comes back and says it is backordered until the end of October. So now I am in the middle of a project with no table saw for the next month. Does anyone have any ideas where I might be able to find this nut at an aftermarket supplier? Any ideas on where this nut might have disappeared to. I haven't seen any Gremlins running around in my shop in a long time, so I really don't think they took it. I am open to any ideas any of you fellow Creekers might have.

Jim Becker
10-01-2008, 8:30 AM
Check on top of the motor and arbor assembly...it may not have dropped all the way. Also check the dust port and hose...it could have bounced "back there".

Chris Padilla
10-01-2008, 9:32 AM
Pick up the saw in your Gorilla arms and shake it like a box of cereal! ;)

Seriously, if you can lift one side of the saw, jam some 2x4s under it to keep it tilted, and then give it a shake here and there, it might fall down or be heard moving.

The thing is, it HAS TO be in there, right?! :)

David Cramer
10-01-2008, 9:51 AM
This is a true story so help me God.

Reminds me of my 10th anniversary. My wife had lost the ring that I had just purchased and given to her at Christmas, a few months after our actual anniversary day. She was sick over it and searched places that no normal person would think of checking.

Finally, after checking under our futon, I decided to pick it up and give it a shake, as Chris said, like a box of cereal. I heard a very faint noise of something hitting the carpet. I got on my hands and knees and there it was, her new diamond ring.

She was down stairs checking through all of our shoes and I asked her if she could come up stairs, that I had something to show her. Talk about HAPPY, she was ecstatic! She had removed it and placed it on the futon edge a couple of nights before and it fell and landed in the hardware mechanism that allows you to pull it out into a bed. You couldn't see it when you looked down the side because it had apparently fallen in between two pieces. By lifting it up and giving it a good shake was the only way.

Moral of the story, as Chris said, it HAS to be in there, right?! I don't know if using a magnet would help, but that's what I'd do. I have one on a stick that has allowed me to find things that my kids have lost in the grass that I would not have found otherwise. Use a flashlight, a magnet and take your :)time. It's in there Harold, whether it's in the dust port, as Jim said, or it could be on the pulley itself. Good luck!!

David

Mike Wilkins
10-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Make sure you locate that puppy BEFORE you fire up that saw again. You could cause some damage that may be ugly and require a lot more than a $2 part to fix. Don't give up looking.

Marty Rose
10-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Same thing happened to me, only with my General 350. The Nut was at least 3 feet into my Dust Extraction pipe. How It got two feet into the pipe I'll never know?

Steve Clardy
10-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Check in between the 3 belts and lower motor pulley. It may be resting there.

Mine ended up there once. :o

Curt Harms
10-01-2008, 5:49 PM
Delta makes a knurled replacement arbor nut for Unisaws. G1023's are a pretty good knockoff of the Unisaw. I wonder if the Delta retrofit nut would work? I'm assuming it's still available; with B&D's extreme makeover who knows:(. As others have suggested, try to find it, or at least try to make sure it doesn't reappear at an inopportune moment and break something important. If all else fails, here may be an option:
http://www.mikestools.com/36-659-Delta-Arbor-Nut-Assembly-Rt-Tilt-Table-Saws.aspx.

HTH

Curt

Gary Lange
10-01-2008, 7:05 PM
Take a magnet on a prob and stick it in everywhere you can it should get the nut from its hiding place. You really need to find that nut before you go back to using that saw.

David Cramer
10-02-2008, 7:38 AM
Harold, did ya find it? Please tell us the what, the where, the how, etc. I have to know how this ends:confused:.

Heck, I'll accept a :Dgremlin:D living in the dust collection tube came out and snatched it when it fell, and then went back in the hole where it lives. Anything? It can even be a realistically sounding fallacy, unlike my story above.

David:)

harold brock
10-02-2008, 8:19 AM
not yrt, I put on a respirator and goggles last night and pretty much climbed in the cabinet and found nothing. I went over the shop with a fine tooth comb, and took my dust collection completely apart, nada!! I can not shake it because of the extension table on the right and the outfeed table. This beats all, I have dropped it a thousand times and it is always in the bottom of the cabinet. While I am here, is dust collection terrible in every cabinet saw or is it just mine. I have a 1.5hp Shop Fox with 12ft of hose going straight to the saw with all other blast gates closed and the cabinet is always full. Any ideas?
I did turn the saw on last night after making sure the nut was not anywhere that I could see would cause any damage and it ran fine. There is not that many places for it to hide in there and I even used a telescoping mirror to look in the places that I can not see. Gravity tells me that when you drop something it goes down. I guess Sir Issac Newton had it all wrong!!

Brian Kent
10-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Same saw. Same nut.

Mine was 2 feet into the dust hose too.

Gary McKown
10-02-2008, 11:22 AM
is dust collection terrible in every cabinet saw or is it just mine.

Dust collection was inadequate in my 1023SL until I made a dust funnel for it:

Buy a standard 12" X 4" HVAC register with a 4" duct tail. Mount this directly below the saw carriage and deflector shield, slightly below the lowest position of the motor. I mounted it using a 1X2 wooden brace, but you could use one of those expanding between-joist dohickies for light fixtures.

Take off the dust port on the saw and insert a duct fitting through the hole (good tight fit using the standard plastic stuff). Attach the inside end to the register with an elbow or hose.

Just about all of the sawdust goes directly into the "funnel" and is swept away. What little collects on the cabinet bottom is easily vacuumed up occasionally. It's also good at collecting the fallen arbor nut, so a quick-disconnect somewhere near is in order.

Are you sure the nut isn't wedged somewhere around the motor pulley area?

harold brock
10-04-2008, 2:56 PM
I finally found the Gremlin. Somehow the arbor nut got thru a blast gate and was found 8 ft away from the saw inside my duct system. I had taken the ducts apart on the other side of the blast gate but didn't check on the side where I finally found it because the gate was closed at the time it disappeared. But now I can finally get back to work but if I ever find the Gremlin I think I will run him thru my planer a time or two, that ought to teach him to stay out of my shop!! lol

Charlie T. Bear
10-04-2008, 3:55 PM
LOL!

This is my biggest fear! I am always freaking paranoid as heck when changing blades, I am just a clutz by nature!

Steve Clardy
10-04-2008, 8:02 PM
Wheeeeeee.........back to work now Harold. :D