PDA

View Full Version : torn grain

Duff Bement
10-01-2008, 7:34 AM
I just started trying to turn some bowls and they are not turning out to bad. EXCEPT- on the inside I always seem to have 2 rough spots across from each other on the inside of the bowls. I am relatively sure I am doing something wrong with my bowl gouge but not quite sure what. I have tried resharpening and making one last very light cut and also tried very light cuts with a scrapper. HELP - before I needed to order another case of sandpaper

Darryl Hansen
10-01-2008, 7:38 AM
Duff you are not doing anything totally incorrect. The two rough spots are the end grain and are normal. Try coating them with lacquer or shellac. then re-sand when the grain stands up. What type wood are you using. some woods are more prone to the problem than others. Sometimes even a real sharp gouge will not doe it you may need a scraper or some sort of hollowing tool used very lightly.

Bernie Weishapl
10-01-2008, 9:37 AM
Duff I either spitz it with a spray bottle of water so the torn grain stands up or use mineral oil then do my finial cut. Some woods you just have to use the 80 grit gouge as Bill Grumbine would say.

Reed Gray
10-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Dry wood tends to tear more than green wood. Adding moisture to the wood helps. Water, oil, lacquer or what ever does the same thing. Get it wet, then let it soak in for a minute or so, then make a light cut. A gouge works, or a shear scraper. Take only the lightest cuts.
robo hippy