PDA

View Full Version : Melamine in Chinese Hershey Chocolate

Jeffrey Makiel
10-01-2008, 6:34 AM
What blade do you recommend for cutting chocolate melamine?
-Jeff :)

David DeCristoforo
10-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Thin kerf high speed laser heated negative hook diamond toothed low RPM with undercutting scoring blade (AKA the "Wonka" blade) made by Chen Ching Chow Chong specially for cutting chocolate melamine panels. But be sure to wear a respirator!

Bob Rufener
10-01-2008, 12:24 PM
A good set of incisors works for me.

Ben Rafael
10-01-2008, 2:21 PM
Laminate trimmer.

Clara Koss
10-01-2008, 2:38 PM
whaaaaaaaat????:confused:

Brent Smith
10-01-2008, 4:38 PM
It's getting to the point where it might be safer to just assume everything that comes out of China has melamine in it and lobby for the Chinese to put the antidote in with it right from the start.

Ben Rafael
10-01-2008, 5:33 PM
I'd bet that chinese lead paint has melamine in it and that chinese melamine has lead in it.

I've gotten to believe that some type of industrial sabotage is occurring in China. They dont just have defective products, they have defective products that kill you. Their guns probably shoot backwards.

Curt Harms
10-01-2008, 7:26 PM
When feed (and I assume food) is tested for protein, it's really tested for nitrogen content. I've heard the reason for adding melamine was to make the product test higher for protein (more nitrogen) than it really contained. I didn't know that melamine would increase the nitrogen component of something but apparently so. I can sorta understand why having milk or pet food test higher for protein is desirable, even if the method was dishonest and dangerous. Why in heavens name is it important for chocolate to test high in protein? :confused:

Curt

Joe Pelonio
10-01-2008, 7:55 PM
You don't always know when you buy something that it was made in China.

Try to figure this out. My son needed a new lapel microphone for a Motorola
EMT radio. Around here they were $70, but he found and ordered one online.

When it came, according to the box it was shipped from China. Had international postage on it and the return address was in Chengdu.

Looks like the real thing, works fine, but even with the shipping cost was half the price.

Jeffrey Makiel
10-01-2008, 9:45 PM
I got an answer: Use a triple chocolate-chip grind (TCG) blade. :)

-Jeff :)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/Freud2.jpg

Tim Thomas
10-02-2008, 9:00 AM
Why in heavens name is it important for chocolate to test high in protein? :confused:
Curt

I think the problem all goes back to the milk. It was milk that had melamine added to it in order to fool the protein tests. Some reports have said that the milk was even watered down first and then the melamine added. Then that tainted milk got used to make all kinds of stuff: baby formula, candy, etc. I don't think melamine was purposefully added directly to the chocolate, I think it was added to the milk and the milk was later used to make the chocolate.

Ben Rafael
10-02-2008, 10:16 AM
News this morning is that some Nestles milk products from China also contains melamine.
I'm buying a cow.

Joel Goodman
10-02-2008, 10:59 AM
The simple answer is that most products contain an variety of components (parts or ingredents) from an alarming number of countries. It would be logical to require manufactures to list all the countries of origin clearly. Most consumers would happily pay more to avoid Chinese food products. Those vitamins "made in USA" often contain many imported components. As do the tools!

Ben Rafael
10-02-2008, 1:06 PM
The simple answer is that most products contain an variety of components (parts or ingredents) from an alarming number of countries. It would be logical to require manufactures to list all the countries of origin clearly. Most consumers would happily pay more to avoid Chinese food products. Those vitamins "made in USA" often contain many imported components. As do the tools!

Many companies have people who verify the purity of the imported components(such as vitamins, cosmetics, and drug companies). In the case of pharmaceuticals there are federal regulations governing this. One of the differences between good cosmetics and bad cosmetics is the quality of the ingredients. And no, I do not wear cosmetics.