PDA

View Full Version : Question for MM16 owners

Dick Sylvan
10-01-2008, 12:57 AM
I just wired up my new MM16 and pressed the start button for the first time. It felt like I was pushing my finger into a deep hole and it took a lot of force to get it to click to start. I was surprised by the effort required. Is this the norm? If so, are there better after market switches? Thanks.

Chris Padilla
10-01-2008, 1:11 AM
I'm sure my MM20 has the same switch (check out the Kreg BS fence thread) and it is just fine. No undo gorilla force is needed. It sounds like your BS is new so give the folks at MM a shout and see what they say. They'll either tell you how to fix it or send you out a new switch.

guy knight
10-01-2008, 1:11 AM
yes it is normal that was my first reaction to it too

Chris Padilla
10-01-2008, 1:16 AM
Maybe it loosens up over time?

Mike Heidrick
10-01-2008, 1:44 AM
It is just a different feeling. You will get used to it. I was suprised when I first tried mine as well. MM20 here.

Joe Mioux
10-01-2008, 5:11 AM
yes, that switch is different from others. I have it on mine as well.

joe

Walt Caza
10-01-2008, 5:45 AM
Hello Dick,
Well, nearly two years in, and I am still less than comfortable with that switch.
Thing is, there have been some issues with MM16 switch failures in the past.
I am glad to have the newer offering, on my 4.8hp model, which is still working for me.
It just feels funny every time I press that odd start switch.

The shape and location of my switchbox also interfere with opening the door all the way,
which makes it harder to mount wider blades.
Great machine, weird and not-so-ergonomic start button.
I am always afraid that one day I am gonna press the button and the saw won't start.
Probably at an inopportune moment, if Murphy has his way.
enjoy your new saw,
Walt

ps no pics, never happened! (pic police policy)

Ken Fitzgerald
10-01-2008, 6:41 AM
Guys,

I have a newer 4.8hp MM-16. Yeah the switch is stiff. I work with similar switches on different electronic equipments regularly. Seems normal to me.

Dick Sylvan
10-01-2008, 8:33 AM
Thanks, guys. At least, I don't have to fret about it every time I turn it on. And, I'm glad the "Off" is easier.

Jim Becker
10-01-2008, 8:40 AM
Look at it this way...it would be very hard to accidentally turn the machine on... ;)

Chris Padilla
10-01-2008, 9:35 AM
Look at it this way...it would be very hard to accidentally turn the machine on... ;)

Yes, I believe that is the main point. Those pesky Euros are good about safety. :)

Dick Sylvan
10-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Yes, I believe that is the main point. Those pesky Euros are good about safety. :)
Yes, but the strange paradox about that is the very poor quality or total absence of good instruction manuals. They want you to be safe, but don't tell you how.

Chris Padilla
10-01-2008, 3:46 PM
Yes, but the strange paradox about that is the very poor quality or total absence of good instruction manuals. They want you to be safe, but don't tell you how.

Agree! They certainly aren't perfect....

Paul Gatti
10-02-2008, 10:49 AM
I took delivery of my MM16 last week and have the same problem. The switch must have been designed by lawyers. If I could, I would replace the switch in a heartbeat, but it's all wired in with the door sensors and foot brake kill switch and my electrical foo isn't that strong :(

Stan Smith
10-02-2008, 1:21 PM
I had switch problems when I first got my mm16. I took pics of the insides and sent them to MM. The guy there spent some time on the phone with me to get the thing wired right even after they sent me a replacement. That was years ago and no problems since then. At least they are willing to help you get it working which is good customer service, IMHO. I'm really techno minus on elec stuff, but with the pics I got the direction and supervision that I needed.