PDA

View Full Version : HF Tool... any good?

Jon Lanier
09-30-2008, 11:49 PM
What do folks think about this as a beginners Hollowing tool? I tried to do my first hollowing with the tools I have and caught a bunch of catches. Ended up blowing it out. It did turn out to be a decent bowl. After a few more coats of tung oil and a buffing I'll post it.

Anyway, I've got a $50 gift certificate to Amazon where I can put towards purchasing this tool. I can't afford the Monster Articulating hollower at this time but I want to start doing some HF... at least some small stuff.

What ya think of this tool? Sorby 10" Hollow Master?

thanks guys.

Bernie Weishapl
09-30-2008, 11:51 PM
I started with that one Jon. I still use it occasionally. It is a decent tool.

Steve Schlumpf
09-30-2008, 11:55 PM
Jon - that's the same one I started with also. Works fine for smaller turnings.

Judy Kingery
10-01-2008, 12:09 AM
Hi, Jon,

I'll be the one lone dissenter in the group - as I tried that tool. And find I dislike a round shaft, much prefer a flat shaft against the tool rest and I don't care for the handle. I like a ring tool and a bowl gouge much, much better. Just my opinion's all and I hope for you the best as you find what you like.

Jude

Christopher Fletcher
10-01-2008, 1:27 AM
Hi, Jon,

I'll be the one lone dissenter in the group - as I tried that tool. And find I dislike a round shaft, much prefer a flat shaft against the tool rest and I don't care for the handle. I like a ring tool and a bowl gouge much, much better. Just my opinion's all and I hope for you the best as you find what you like.

Jude

Jon, I am with you. I have this tool with a slightly different cutter and I would say it is OK....Not that user friendly with the round shaft. The handle has an awkward shape and length too. I need to spend some more time with this tool, before I completely dismiss it though. I would guess there are more intelligently designed versions available. Moreover, you could probably make your own for less $$.

Jim Becker
10-01-2008, 7:42 AM
I started out with it and it's quite functional, but too short, IMHO. (Something already expressed) Ok for small forms, but awkward to control for middle size and larger. A better choice for that if you don't want to invest in captive is something like the Stewart or Sorby setup with the arm handle. Much easier to control.

Jeff Bower
10-01-2008, 9:38 AM
Jon, why not spend the $50 on something else and make your own hollowing tool.....see link below.

http://aroundthewoods.com/tools.shtml

Daniel Heine
10-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Hello,

I was looking at hollowing tools on ebay, and found a link to this web site:

http://sitekreator.com/sherrillwoodworking/deep_hollowing_tool_set.html

As soon as I can get the $78.00 together, I'm going to order one. What do you guys think about this tool?

Thanks,
Daniel Heine

Scott Hubl
10-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Dan,
I have seen that system before. Looks pretty complete for the type hollower it is and at $79.00 SHIPPED :eek: I don't see how you could go wrong with what he is including. He even has all the component parts listed and all his prices include shipping and seem real reasonable to me.

Go for it!:cool:

Pic Added-
http://0101.netclime.net/1_5/2b9/1e1/196/1178493546501140.JPG

Richard Madison
10-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Do not see how he can sell that tool for $79 shipped. Would like to hear from someone who has purchased one.

I mostly use an ugly home made tool w/ 3/16" tool bit in slot ground into a 1/2" square bar, which is ground to fit into a length of 1/2" steel pipe, which fits into a wood handle.

When going deeper than about 5", and to gage the wall thickness on HF's I do use the monster articulated rig with laser, but find that I use it much less often than expected.

Scott Hubl
10-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Looks to be a darn good value for someone just wanting to give hollow turning a try without a huge investment.

Quite a bit included for only 79 bucks shipped.

I'd love to hear from someone also who has bought one.

Don Carter
10-02-2008, 12:14 AM
Hey guys, that is the website of Lamar Sherrill who is a member here. I looked his site up one time looking for a tool rest. I have not bought from him since I recently changed lathes but I may now. I am going to email him to ask about some of his stuff.

Bill Blasic
10-02-2008, 7:20 AM
I have purchased this from Lamar and it is done exceptionally well. You will not go wrong with this outfit at a great price.

Steve Trauthwein
10-02-2008, 7:34 AM
Jon,

I started hollowing with the tool you have shown. I won it at a club raffle. I still use it occaisionally, but still find it to be very catchy. One of the problems with the tool in my opinion is the hook is very large for the diameter of the tool and your tool rest has to be set back to cut near the opening.

I bought a set of the kelton medium sized tools that are handleless and have had good success with them. I believe the greatest tool in hollowing is experience and I am still on the learning curve. I believe the tool shown is useful but not a first or only option.

Regards, Steve

John Frigillana
10-02-2008, 3:07 PM
;) I'm using the RS200 and RS230 and like it alot. There is a flat on the underside to stabilize it. Eventually I'll get a captured system. Here some pics using the Sorby.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=94154&d=1218044361

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=94155&d=1218044411

Allen Neighbors
10-02-2008, 8:21 PM
Jon, that Sorby should be a good tool for you to start with. I use a Don Pencil Scorpion hollower with the scraper blade to smooth the inside of hollow forms. But to make my own tools (which I use more than any others for deep hollowing), I went to Darrel Feltmates Website (aroundthewoods.com) and copied his Oland tools. I've made several, including the "harpoon" for reaching deep inside 14" tall vases.
I have two different sizes that I bent into a curve, like that Sorby hollower, only mine use 1/4" and 3/16" hss square cutters, inserted into an appropriate sized hole, and held in place with a set screw.
As long as the cutting tip is in line with the straight part of the tool shaft, there is very little torque.
One hint to hollowing with this tool: Draw a circle on a piece of paper. Draw a line through it vertically, and another horizontally (like cutting a pie into fourths). This is a facsimile of your piece to be hollowed.
The Northwest (upper left) quadrant is the cutting quadrant. Above and left of center. Your cutter needs to be cutting the wood in this quadrant, and should be angled slightly down, to avoid catches.
The curve in the tool shaft makes this super easy.
The above is just my opinion and how I turn, and not meant to be the only way. :D

Curt Fuller
10-02-2008, 10:41 PM
I have the Sorby Hollowmaster and after a couple years worth of learning curve I can finally use it with somewhat of a degree of sucess without having it throw me across the room. It works pretty well when hollowing a form with a larger opening, 2"+. But when trying to go through a smaller opening it's hard to control and when you get a catch it's a doozie. It usually ends up destroying what you're working on. The curved swan neck makes it very difficult to back off when you get a catch without getting caught in the opening and launching you or the tool or the piece you're working on and sometimes all three. You're results may vary but I would steer you towards a captive system.

Hilel Salomon
10-09-2008, 3:19 PM
Hey Folks,

Being a compulsive buyer, I ordered one as soon as I saw this post. Got it today. I have no idea of how good it is, but in light of the problems some of you folks have had w/vendors, I'd like to let you know that I got this one quickly. I'll let you know how I like it, but the fact is that the components would normally cost much more.
Regards, Hilel.

Scott Hubl
10-09-2008, 4:26 PM
Hilel,
Did you buy the set I posted the pic of ? Deep Hollowing Modular Tool System. ( ITEM # 003 )

For about 80 bucks? :confused:

If so looking forward to your review.