PDA

View Full Version : Betsy Ross / Hurricane Ike Pen

michael gallagher
09-30-2008, 11:46 PM
After the power went out for a while in the Houston area due to Hurricane Ike, the wife and kids went out of town for some electricity, air conditioning, and TV. I, ever the dutiful husband, stayed home to protect the castle from the beautiful new hole in the roof Ike was kind enough to leave us as a parting gift.

Seeing as how there was no power, and I was one of the few who didn't have a generator in the new Generator Capitol of the World, I was unable to spin anything or make funnels on the lathe. So, I pulled out my trusty Betsy Ross pen kit while there was daylight and started applying the CA glue to the stars and stripes and assemble the kit. The stars were very tedious, and while my vision is still intact I really could have used one of those magnifying lamps you see in the dentist office or for people who do fine needlepoint work like my Mom.

Anyway, as usual, I digress.

This is dyed curly maple and the pieces were cut out with a laser by my new friend Ken at Kallenshaan Woods in Las Vegas (in reality he wouldn't know me from Adam, but he does some cool stuff and the next time I go to Vegas I am going to try to go to his studio) - check out his website for some really neat kits for your unique Christmas or holiday gift giving: http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com

After gluing all the pieces, it took me a week to find time to use two-part epoxy to glue it on to tube. After another couple of days, the next step was to square it up with your disc sander. Someone once told me a poor craftsman blames his tools, and I blame my disc sander because I am too stupid to pull out or make a jig to "square" it to the sander as I, being a graduate of Texas A&M, felt like I could eyeball that sucker to the brass tube.

That was a mistake, as the results were something like a texas university vs. Texas A&M graduate would create.

There is a slight gap if you peer up close and personal to it next to the nib. I purposefully backed off from the focus of the camera so you couldn't see it, but seeing how honesty is the best policy I thought I would come clean with each of you.

I feel better already after this moment of confession.

After cursing a bit because of the faulty (craftsman) disc sander, I put it on the lathe, pulled out the skew, and brought that new blank down to size for the Sierra pen. Sanded and micromeshed to 12,000 grit, then applied the now-trusty BLO / CA glue finish. I let the finish cure for 24 hours (a) because I was tired, and (b) I didn't want to screw this pen up. Besides, I've never spent two weeks making a pen before. After it was all dry, I MM'd through 12,000 again.

This is my first post-Hurricane Ike turning, and I felt like I was going through withdrawal. Sorry for the long-winded post. As usual, your comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Regards,

Michael

Bernie Weishapl
09-30-2008, 11:48 PM
Michael I really like the pen. Great job on it.

Ben Gallagher
10-01-2008, 7:56 PM
Looks great to me. Good job.

Tom Hamilton
10-01-2008, 9:45 PM
Hey, Michael, nice pen. Can you bring it to church on Sunday for a personal viewing?

Oh, and Michael, who's the Ben G that's responding to your post?

Best regards, Tom, around the corner with some newly cut bowls blanks for you.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-01-2008, 9:51 PM
Michael,

Nice pen!

My youngest son lives in Pearland and he experienced similar damage to their home.
My sincere sympathies!

Steve Schlumpf
10-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Very nice pen Michael! Don't know if I would have the patience to place and glue all those itty-bitty pieces! I'd say it was worth the effort!

Hope you are able to get the repairs completed with minimal hassle!

michael gallagher
10-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Tom-

I'll be sure to bring it to church this Sunday for your eagle-eye inspection.

The Ben G in the reply is some wild and crazy segmented turner, who just happens to be my Dad: no matter how old you get, you still want your Dad to review your work and see if it meets his approval.

michael gallagher
10-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Michael,

Nice pen!

My youngest son lives in Pearland and he experienced similar damage to their home.
My sincere sympathies!

Ken-

When Tom Hamilton and I were cruising the neighborhood for downed trees after Hurricane Ike, we were in your son's neighborhood and he pointed it out - next time your down here, you, Tom, and I will have to go grab lunch or something; his house is about 3 minutes from both Tom and me. I believe we got some nice willow and bradford pear in that neighborhood, so it was a great score!

Damage wasn't too bad - a minor hole in the roof where the flashing came off that was subsequently repaired; my neighbors suffered a heck of a lot more.

Regards,

Miichael

Tom Hamilton
10-03-2008, 11:42 AM
I knew that and thought it be interesting to the Creekers to learn of a father/son team on the on Creek.

I wonder if there are others?

Probably needs to be a topic in a separate post.

Best regards, Tom