PDA

View Full Version : cypress sure makes a nice Adirondack chair

Bill Huber
09-30-2008, 11:38 PM
I have never really worked with cypress but its nice to work with, a little soft and you do have to watch of splitting on some of the screwed together parts.

This is the Lee Valley plans, I did widen it by 2 inches, I guess my back side is a little wider then most. I have looked at a lot of plans but theirs is the best that I have seen, the back is contoured as is the seat.

This is my forth chair, redwood and pine for the others but this one is the best looking I think, I just like the wood look better.

97845 97846

Norman Pyles
10-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Great lookin chair. That's another thing, on my to do list.

Paul Greathouse
10-01-2008, 2:31 AM
Nice chair, I love cypress too. The best thing about it is the scent of the wood when your working it.

I'll have to check out their plans. I've been wanting to build a new set of screen porch furniture, do they have a couch size version too?

I built a real simple but comfortable chair out of cypress back in the 80's for a deer stand I had back in the swamp. The chair lasted alot longer than the stand did.

Jim Becker
10-01-2008, 7:39 AM
Yes, cypress is very nice for this application. I did find that for components like the arm rests, it's best to use material that is presenting rift/qs grain. Flat sawn may tend to split off pieces as the chairs weather.

Nice job on the chairs!

John Thompson
10-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Nice work Bill, as cypress is a natural for outside. I am curious to see how the arms hold up over time as Jim mentioned. Hopefully well but please follow up down the road.

Sarge..

Greg Cole
10-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Nice job Bill.
LOML has a couple of these and matching ottomans on the "one of these days" list.

Cheers.
Greg

Scott Schwake
10-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Bill, those look great. I recently ordered the Lee Valley plans for their folding chair, was planning on using cedar but maybe I should consider cypress. I don't hear much about cypress around here, maybe it's not as readily available in these parts.