PDA

View Full Version : Food Safe finish question

Matt Wolboldt
09-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Hey guys! Tonight I attempted to wash my first attempt at an everyday use utility bowl. I applied 3 coats of the Watco Wipe-On Poly and let it sit 2 days after the last coat. I then buffed out the finish an applied some carnuba wax. So now the question. After I dried the bowl I notice quite a few watermarks left in the wood. I rebuffed the bowl and that got rid of the watermarks, but my concern is that everytime I was it, I'll have to rebuff the finish. Is this common, or should I apply a coat of lacquer or some other finish on top? Thanks for the help.
Matt

Bernie Weishapl
09-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Carnuba wax will leave water spots every time. I found that out on a vase that got some rain drops on it. Had to rebuff and it happened again with water that splashed on it. I don't use wax on any of my utility stuff anymore and use Ren wax on my show pieces.

Steve Schlumpf
09-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Matt - I also found out the hard way that the carnuba wax spots real easy. It's nice to know that you can buff it out again but for utility items I don't use the wax anymore.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Mat there is as much reason to wax your bowl as there is for waxing your utensils and plate, cup etc., :D:D:D:D:D

Matt Wolboldt
09-30-2008, 11:22 PM
Point taken :D. Sometimes my common sense leaves me. I just figured it would help give an extra water barrier. The learning process continues. Thanks for all the replies :D:D.

Jim Becker
10-01-2008, 7:44 AM
No wax for a "user". And do not put any kind of lacquer on top of the varnish...it will potentially do nasty things. The solvents in lacquer can melt the varnish in unattractive ways... ;)