PDA

View Full Version : Intro

Dave Halter
09-30-2008, 10:05 PM
I just wanted to say hello. I've been lurking for a while and I'm learning a lot from everyone. I've been turning off and on for about 2 years with a Jet 1642 EVS. Attached is some pics of bottle stoppers I turned out of yellowheart and wenge.

Dave

Leo Van Der Loo
09-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Welcome aboard Dave.
Ruth Niles bottle SS stoppers and your tops sure make top it quality stoppers, very nice.
Wenge never was my favorite wood to turn, found it splintery, yours look nice and smooth though, have any problems turning it ??

Don Carter
09-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Dave:
Welcome Dave, SMC is a great place. I love the bottle stoppers, they look great. It is always fun to combine love of woodturning and your favorite school. I look forward to seeing many more pics.
BTW, where did you get the school emblems?
All the best.

Steve Schlumpf
09-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Dave - Welcome to the Creek! Good looking bottle stoppers! Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Welcome to the Creek Dave! Wade right in....the water's fine! Great looking stoppers!

Bernie Weishapl
09-30-2008, 11:49 PM
Welcome Dave to Creek. Great looking stoppers. Wade right in. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge.

robert hainstock
10-01-2008, 8:48 AM
Welcome to all things spinny. :)
Bob

Paul Gallian
10-01-2008, 9:17 AM
I like the MU connection.. I am glad that the MU vs. Nebraska game is on ESPN this Saturday -- can not make it to Lincoln to see the game.

What else do you turn...

Paul

Dave Halter
10-01-2008, 3:56 PM
Welcome aboard Dave.
Ruth Niles bottle SS stoppers and your tops sure make top it quality stoppers, very nice.
Wenge never was my favorite wood to turn, found it splintery, yours look nice and smooth though, have any problems turning it ??
I didn't have any problem turning the Wenge, but finishing it was a different story. The first one I turned I used the Beale wood buff on and the white diamond left it speckled with white spots in the pores. The one in the pic I finished on the lathe with Mylands.

Dave Halter
10-01-2008, 3:58 PM
Dave:
Welcome Dave, SMC is a great place. I love the bottle stoppers, they look great. It is always fun to combine love of woodturning and your favorite school. I look forward to seeing many more pics.
BTW, where did you get the school emblems?
All the best.
The school emblems are actually golf ball markers. They're the perfect size and each side is different giving you two options.

Dave Halter
10-01-2008, 4:01 PM
I like the MU connection.. I am glad that the MU vs. Nebraska game is on ESPN this Saturday -- can not make it to Lincoln to see the game.

What else do you turn...

Paul
Mostly small stuff at this point. I've turned a few scoops, a goblet, toothpick holder, ring stand, and other odds and ends. I've got a couple of bowls that I turned at a Woodcraft class this Spring. They are now dry and I need to finish them.

Allen Neighbors
10-01-2008, 7:58 PM
Welcome, Dave. Those stoppers are beautiful. Let's see some more!