PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0513x2 bandsaw and mobile base

Dave Lehnert
09-30-2008, 9:59 PM
What bandsaw have you used under the Grizzly 17" bandsaw and would you do over again. How about clearance of the lower door with the saw sitting in the base.

Anyone use a custom base from HTC under the grizzly saw? I have one under my jointer and it works well but nothing to make me have to get another.

Steve Kohn
09-30-2008, 10:05 PM
I have a Grizzly G0514 with the recommended Shop Fox base under it. I do not recommend this base. It is really too small for the saw in one direction and too large in the other. The wheels are so small that they catch on anything on the floor.

I also have had 2 HTC bases. One was under my 6 inch jointer (now sold) and the second is under the PM66 TS. Both are good solid bases but again have very small wheels.

Something I found that I do like is the 600 lb. base from Woodcraft that you add your own plywood to. The wheels are considerably larger.

John Keeton
09-30-2008, 10:33 PM
I have the 513X2, but do not want it mobile. However, some have used casters instead of bases - check this link. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=88792

Barry Vabeach
10-01-2008, 8:28 AM
John, I have the same saw I have a Portamate PM1000 under it - it may not be designed for that weight because I already bent one of the lifting levers. I had read about the lower door issue and mounted some ply on the mobile base below the saw and don't have any problem. I just got a JET universal mobile base and that is what I would use if I was buying a commercial base - it goes together with no tools in a few seconds as is steady as a rock. BTW, you are going to love that saw. Barry

glenn bradley
10-01-2008, 8:35 AM
I have the Shop Fox base and it is wanting. Is the base on your jointer built for that machine? HTC's "universal" bases aren't that hot but their task specific bases always seem to get good reviews. I think one problem is finding a good base for under $150 or more.

alex grams
10-01-2008, 8:57 AM
I second (or third of forth) the dissatisfaction with the shop fox mobile base. the rotating casters drug along the frame and made it a pain to move in some directions. I also have the 513x2. I got the htc2000 mobile base for it and couldn't be happier. I was shocked how easy it was to move around compared to the shop fox base (which now occupies a spot in my attic).

Good luck.

Anthony Whitesell
10-01-2008, 9:04 AM
How about some pictures of those bases? I am now officially in the market for a mobile base for the same saw. I am shying away from the three wheel bases like this one http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2383&filter=mobile%20base. I am afraid the bandsaw may be too top heavy for only three wheels.

I like the designs that raise and lower the wheels (like the HTC2000/3000), opposed to having to screw down feet (like the Harbor Frieght one).

I have found a few options: HTC2000, HTC3000, HTC3000HD, Windriver (looks like a HTC2000 knock-off), and the Woodcraft Universal Mobile base.

Any feedback available on any of these bases would be greatly appreciated. Especially if you have or have tried to pair it with the G0513x2 bandsaw?

Greg Cole
10-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Do yourself the favor of not putting that saw on that base.
I have one under mine and wish I didn't for all the above reasons.... it's a POS worthy of the scrap steel pile. :rolleyes:

Greg

Gary McKown
10-01-2008, 11:47 AM
I have the G0513X2 on the Shopfox - didn't work worth a hoot until Grizzly sent me new swivel casters. Now it rolls pretty easily (I only need front-to-back movement) but I wouldn't recommend this base - the quality definitely is not what it used to be.

I also wouldn't recommend the Woodcraft one - the swivel caster levers release with a *clunk* under load. This is O.K. under my router table cabinet where I can ease it down, but not something I would want under a top-heavy bandsaw.