PDA

View Full Version : how to make a narrow parting tool

John Nowack
09-30-2008, 9:40 PM
I have seen some people with home made "narrow" parting tools--I just bought a $3.00 hack saw blade that is about 2 inches wide--I thought I could ruff grind it with a hand grinder then shape it on the slow speed grinder--Then attach a handle some how

any thought or simple plans out there--i checked out the site Leo recomended on the tool handle thread but did not see anything for this specific tool

Dave Halter
09-30-2008, 9:47 PM
There is a video on youtube that shows how to make one from an edger blade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Joo-cBzsjQ

Dave

David Drickhamer
09-30-2008, 10:14 PM
I also made a narrow parting tool from a wide hacksaw blade. Remember the edge with the teeth is the hardest part of the blade so I'd try to use this edge for the cutting surface. Just be sure to remove the set from the teeth and don't get it too hot. The hardest part of the whole thing is drilling the holes for the handle.
Making your own tools is half the fun.
Dave

Don Carter
09-30-2008, 10:29 PM
John:
I made one using a reciprocating saw blade. I had some Dewalt blades that looked the part. I ground the teeth down smooth and mounted it into a shopmade handle. I drilled a hole in the end of the handle the size of a dowell. I bandsawed a slice out of the dowel and inserted the end of the blade. Epoxied and drove the dowel and blade into the handle. It worked for me.
All the best.

Jeff Bower
10-01-2008, 9:42 AM
Making your own tools is half the fun.
Dave

I agree!

I made one out of a $10 buck brothers hand plane blade from Home depot. I cut it in half length wise with a hand grinder and then shaped it to look just like a sorby. Works great!

Paul Engle
10-01-2008, 9:59 AM
old planner blades work good also as most are HSS , carbide not so much unless you have a green wheel , the 12" makes a nice one and the 6 inch jointer blade is great for small dia and shallow work.just try not to get em too hot when grinding, keep a water cup by the grinder and dip it often .

Steve Busey
10-01-2008, 10:51 AM
We had a demo at our turning club one night, and the demonstrator said his doctor told him to give up butter from his diet, so he ground down his butter knife into a parting tool!

Les Kuesel
10-01-2008, 6:18 PM
I made one out of a used 1/4" spade bit, shaped it and made a handle. Works great.

Wally Wenzel
10-01-2008, 7:37 PM
I made one from a .50$ butcher knife from goodwill. Wally

John Nowack
10-02-2008, 4:19 PM
so the the answer issss:
anything flat and metal that can be shaped on a grinder:)

thanks guys some good idea's---I think I know what to do now--

Bernie Weishapl
10-02-2008, 5:35 PM
I made a couple of thin ones from stainless steel steak knives. They are 1/16" and about 1 1/4" wide. Seem to hold a edge pretty well and work great.

Allen Neighbors
10-02-2008, 7:55 PM
1" Bandsaw Blade, ground teeth away, shaped a tang, epoxied it into a handle. Works great for small stuff. Very narrow kerf.
Used Old Hickory Butcher Knife. Ground to right shape, ground a tang, and epoxied it into a handle. Kerf just less than 1/8", and works for anything.
Cutting tip on both is about 5/16" from bottom edge for good balance when parting.

Andy Hoyt
10-02-2008, 8:04 PM
We had a demo on this, too. Last winter. Here's a pdf (http://www.mainewoodturners.org/Lee_Prescott_Parting_Tool.pdf) of how/what he did.