PDA

View Full Version : Used Delta 6" 37-195 Jointer Question

Anthony Whitesell
09-30-2008, 9:13 PM
I found a listing on Craig's list for a lightly used Delta Jointer. The add says that it is a 6 inch Delta professional jointer model 37-195 with stand. It is currently wired for 110 but can be setup for 220. The jointer has been lightly used and stored in my basement for about two years.

I don't know much about the Delta jointers, so I'm looking to the experts for some help.

1. Is this model worth my time? Is it any good?

2. The beds, fence, and stand look to be in lightly used condition. The paint on the jointer itself doesn't seem to match up. Do the Delta joint have this "two tone" paint scheme look to them?

3. What do you think this unit is worth? What would you offer for the unit? (I did some research and found old websites listing the new price ~$560)

Douglas Brummett
10-01-2008, 12:27 PM
That jointer is fine. I really wouldn't sweat the paint match. I highly doubt someone would take the time to refurbish a junker to look lightly used in this instance. Used 6in jointers aren't too pricey, usually in the $200-350 range unless someone is running a fire sale. I think originally that jointer was $500-600 in the stores.

I have the JT360 which is basically the open stand version of this jointer. So far I like it. I have played around with the cutterhead on mine a bit. The stock cutter is pretty noisey, but from what I am told that is typical of the straight knife cutterhead in planers and jointers. I used a spiral knife head for about 3 months. That was quiet, gave a good surface finish, but knife durability was not impressive. Now I have a Byrd head, but you will have to wait for impressions on that until I run some wood over it.

I have found it relatively easy to get replacement parts. Dewalt servicenet has parts online as well as several other tool suppliers stocking parts. Obviously several manufactures produce cutterheads for it. I haven't heard much bad about it online and I imagine that there are a lot of these 6in delta jointers in garages. I would recommend it as a good entry level jointer.

What can you get it for used? Depends on the seller. If I saw it in person and it truly was in the described condition I would have no issue paying $300. I got my JT360 for just under $200 new since it was a floor model missing some small parts, but I put about $300 into the helical cutter for it.

Dave Avery
10-02-2008, 9:11 AM
Anthony,

I just sold a simlilar jointer. It's fine for a 6" jointer, but you'll quickly outgrow the 6" limitation. Slight paint darkening of the jointer (vs. the base) is normal. I got $280 for mine on Ebay with "local pickup only". Best. Dave.

glenn bradley
10-02-2008, 9:24 AM
There is a continous flow of 6" jointers on the market as we each take our turn not listening to all the folks who tell us an 8" is minimum for 99% of us. $200 - $300 seems to be the range. I got $160 for mine but wanted it out of the way.

Anthony Whitesell
10-02-2008, 10:26 AM
I hear what you all are saying. I don't know if I'll fall into the same trap or not. There is a not a big price difference between the 4" and 6", but there seems to be a big price jump between the 6" and 8" jointers.

I think I'm going to pass on a jointer for now. I have a little re-wiring to work through to get some 220V outlets run in the shop for my new bandsaw. :D

FWIW. Here's the real zinger and the creme dela creme of why I asked. The price list on Craigslist ad was :eek: $600/bo. :eek: I'm not sure I have the :rolleyes: guts to offer him what it's really worth (remembering that buying used=no warranty or guarantees)

Douglas Brummett
10-02-2008, 2:52 PM
Nice :)
I always wonder about people who post up stuff at or over retail price. Do they ever sell anything? Are they clueless or just stubborn as far as market value is concerned? For the most part I take a high price as my cue that it isn't worth my time to haggle.