PDA

View Full Version : yellowing banner

jack Halley
09-30-2008, 6:17 PM
Guy's there is a banner on the side of a building that is yellowing badly.
Is there something that will clean it off or has it changed color from the sun?

If it is changed from the sun' is there something that can be applied to it to keep that from happening?

Joe Pelonio
09-30-2008, 6:29 PM
How long has it been there?

Vinyl banners do yellow with age, then eventually the sun breaks them down and they will crack on the surface, exposing the internal reinforcement.

There are better quality banners that have UV coatings on them and you can use something like "Frog Juice" that will help, but it seems like overkill, since the lettering is usually going to start to curl up on the edges after 7-8 years.

I have seen banners I made last 10 years here but we have little sun. I have seen them in Arizona deteriorate after less than two years.

http://www.superfrog.com/sunscreen.html

jack Halley
09-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks Joe!

The banner has been in southern Missouri for 2-3 years.The lettering has not curled yet.

Will that sunscreen also work on painted signs?

Joe Pelonio
10-01-2008, 8:04 AM
Thanks Joe!

The banner has been in southern Missouri for 2-3 years.The lettering has not curled yet.

Will that sunscreen also work on painted signs?
Yes it will help, but in a southern climate you really cannot expect a banner to last much longer than 3-4 years if it has an exposure to sun most of the day.

jack Halley
10-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Yes it will help, but in a southern climate you really cannot expect a banner to last much longer than 3-4 years if it has an exposure to sun most of the day.

Thanks again Joe I appreciate and read all of your replies.