PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Show Coming. What's on your wishlist?

Tim Dorcas
09-30-2008, 5:07 PM
The Woodworking Show comes to Calgary at the beginning of November. I get paid my bonus around this time so it's usually the time of year to get major purchases plus whatever $20 gizmos that catch my fancy. Two years ago I bought a bandsaw, riser, and a 2 hp dust collector. Last year I got a Redline tablesaw fence, a dado jig, clamps and new saw blade.

This year things I would like to get

Air Filtration (do they really work?)
Mortiser (I keep putting this off because I have the Dowelmax Jig which I love)
Jointer (I have a benchtop jointer that I hate)
Jointer Hand Plane (I'm thinking of buying a Hock plane blade and making one)
Jool Tool (last year I complete dismissed this because I thought it was marketing hype.)
Lathe (I have a mini lathe but it seems like I spend all my time in the shop on the lathe. I am looking at the Craftex CT128 or the Nova 1624)

What's on your list? Am I the only one that saves up for the show? Are there cool things that I am missing?

As much as I love the woodworking, I love the woodworking toys!

Tim

Rob Anthony
09-30-2008, 6:06 PM
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Steel City Granite Top hybrid table saw with a riving knife. :)

Jack Camillo
09-30-2008, 6:08 PM
from the list, I would place top priority on a jointer. The ability to dimension wood with little effort is invaluable, in my opinion.

Mike Heidrick
09-30-2008, 7:25 PM
Our show comes in Feburary around here.

From your list - jointer all the way. Not many deals on them at shows from Steel City but they make mighty fine equipment! A nice 8" industrial one would be awesome in any shop. Find a dealer and go talk to them.

Not many tools on my list these days. Ones I want are pretty eccletic. Next up for me is a pneumatic panel flatner from JLT. That and some more routers.

glenn bradley
09-30-2008, 7:54 PM
Air Filtration (do they really work?)
- Yes they do, even the shop made ones.
Mortiser (I keep putting this off because I have the Dowelmax Jig which I love)
- I thought long and hard on this one and by the time you get good chisels and a decent machine, you've spent quite a bit. I went with the Mortise Pal and have been very happy.
Jointer (I have a benchtop jointer that I hate)
- I hated my 6" jointer 30 days after I bought it. It took a year and a half to save up for an 8". I used a planer sled and stored the 6" till I could sell it. This tool creates the reference surface off of which all other work is done. We do not emphasize enough how important it is. Get one at the detriment of all other items on your list!
Jointer Hand Plane (I'm thinking of buying a Hock plane blade and making one)
- That would be fun.
Jool Tool (last year I complete dismissed this because I thought it was marketing hype.)
- For straight tools I find it pretty useless. The Worksharp is a better bet there. For gouges and such it seems pretty cool.
Lathe (I have a mini lathe but it seems like I spend all my time in the shop on the lathe. I am looking at the Craftex CT128 or the Nova 1624)
- No comment, I haven't slipped down that slope yet ;-)

What's on your list?
- Different approach for me as I live in a metro area and can go buy just about anything big. I get all my small and odd-ball stuff at the shows to save on shipping. If anything else big comes in, something's gotta go out.

NICK BARBOZA
10-01-2008, 7:36 AM
the main thing on my list when i hit the NJ WWS is a cyclone. I need to upgrade my DC to make myself much more efficient. maybe an air filter too.

and who knows, i might just find a few other things that i cant live without...

Cheers,
Nick

Rod Sheridan
10-01-2008, 8:19 AM
Ah woodshows, where according to my wife, a bunch of us grey haired guys with matching plaid shirts meet on a yearly basis to spend money on another router and a hot dog.

I'm at the stage where I have a good collection of machinery and hand tools. If I buy any machinery it will be to replace my saw and shaper.

I have an Oneida cyclone, Hammer A3-31 jointer/planer, and a bunch of green machinery (General 650 saw, shaper, bandsaw)

The A3-31 was my 2008 purchase, it replaced an 8" jointer and 14" planer (more green stuff).

The Toronto show is in the spring, so in 2009 I'll be looking at the Hammer B3 sliding saw/shaper with the "comfort" package. Often the show is a great place to get a substantial discount on a piece of machinery. The sliding table/tilting spindle shaper just makes the package even more attractive.

The General 650 is a great cabinet saw, however it's just that, a cabinet saw. It's time to get a slider with all the capabilities and safety functions that aren't available on the 1930 style cabinet saw.

I'm not getting any younger, balancing a sheet of plywood on the cabinet saw isn't that bright, or easy, so it's time to get a saw that will do the heavy work for me.

Regards, Rod.

John Thompson
10-01-2008, 10:47 AM
I believe about the only thing I need at the moment is a new bottle of wood glue as I start a coffee table today. But.. in your shoes the jointer would be the priority item on my list.

Good luck...

Sarge..

Christopher Fletcher
10-01-2008, 12:55 PM
No San Diego show scheduled. Maybe I'll go to the LA show....

Mike Heidrick
10-01-2008, 1:10 PM
Look for deals on Jet parallel clamps there!

Todd Bin
10-01-2008, 5:48 PM
Does anyon have a link so I can see when it will be in my area?

Thanks,

glenn bradley
10-01-2008, 7:02 PM
No San Diego show scheduled. Maybe I'll go to the LA show....

The Ontario show (was Pomona the last couple years) is the "last" of the run. The big Deltas and Powermatics were getting sold off rather than toted back to wherever. I saw a guy get an assembled 6" long-bed PM jointer into the back of his mini-van.

I read that "deals" are not the norm for most shows but I've only been to Pomona twice. The same outfit that was selling of the big machines sold my dad a DW735 with an extra set of knives and the tables for $360 NIB. The DeWalt guys across the aisle were . . . not . . . happy about it.

glenn bradley
10-01-2008, 7:03 PM
http://cms.thewoodworkingshows.com/cms/