PDA

View Full Version : Tool handles

John Frigillana
09-30-2008, 4:22 PM
:oAre there any other sites that have instructions for tool handles besides the one on the Thompson tool website? I'm looking for alternatives for scrapers with flat tangs that are angled instead of rectangular.:rolleyes:

Leo Van Der Loo
09-30-2008, 5:00 PM
If you are looking for good info, here's a site that every woodturner should know about and visit, not pushing any sales, just good info.
http://aroundthewoods.com/
As for the tapered handle to get a good fit, drill your normal hole and fill partially with Epoxy so its full when you insert your tool, do that and let it harden, voila all done.

Reed Gray
10-01-2008, 12:35 AM
Keoni,
For scrapers like that, I will make a 3 piece laminated handle. The center piece is the same thickness as the scraper. I cut a recess in it to match the scraper tang, and then laminate the other 2 piece on the outside of that. The recess isn't hard to center on the tailstock end. I do make the fit close, and some times have to scrape a little squeeze out glue out of the recess, and use some epoxy to set it, and a very tight ferrule.
robo hippy

George Morris
10-01-2008, 4:50 PM
Alan Lancer woodturning look under articles a lot of good info! George

Rod Sheridan
10-02-2008, 8:54 AM
When I make handles for tools with tapered tangs, I drill the hole with a drill bit the same diameter as the thickness of the tang.

I drill one deep hole in the center of the handle, then a shallow hole on both sides of the central hole.

I then heat the tang with a torch until it will burn into the handle. Once it's 95% of the way home I pull it out and let it cool. then drive it home with a block of wood.

Regards, Rod.