PDA

View Full Version : Learning the Lathe

Bill Arnold
09-30-2008, 3:59 PM
In my spare time :rolleyes:, I've started practicing bowl turning. I've done OK on spindles and have made a few pens with no problem. I took a scrap of walnut about 5" across and 2" thick and mounted on the faceplate. The lathe is on the slowest speed. I have ordered a set of bowl gouges, but still waiting for delivery. I'm trying to use a small spindle gouge (1/2") and am using the bevel rub technique. The tool rest is a bit below the center of the piece.

I start in the center bottom and all is OK, but when I get to the outer edge, the gouge catches and chips out a chunk of wood. The chip occurs at the point where the gouge aligns with the grain of the wood. So, what am I doing wrong?

:confused:

Leo Van Der Loo
09-30-2008, 4:18 PM
First off you're gouge (or any other) should be cutting ABOVE center when cutting on the inside.
An easy way to see what happens is to draw a circle on a piece of paper, then a horizontal line at center, now if cut above center and get a catch the tool goes down vertical and out of the wood, below center the tool will do the same and deeper into the wood, clear as mud ;-))

Bill Arnold
09-30-2008, 4:26 PM
Very clear, Leo. I've been so accustomed to setting the tool rest below the work for pens that I just set it that way to start the outside of the bowl. I tried it the right way and not having an issue. Duh on my part!

Ron Ainge
09-30-2008, 4:27 PM
Bill
If I understand you correctly I would suspect that the lower wing of the gouge is catching as you get to the side of the bowl. You can correct this by starting the cut from the outside edge of the bowl and working toward the center. When I ruff out bowls I make a few cuts from the outside edge and leave the center alone. Then when I get the sides where I want them I cut from the center toward the outter edge. The guy that taught me to turn starts the bottom of the bowl from the center and works outward and starts the inside from the outside and turns toward the center. It sounds strange to do it different on each side of the bowl but if you will try it I think you will have better luck. You may be able to do this with either type of gouge, but I think you will like the bowl gouges when you get them.

Jim Becker
09-30-2008, 4:39 PM
Bill, it's probably a good idea for you to be practicing your bowl turning with that spindle gouge by putting an end-grain oriented blank on the machine, rather than cross-grain. (Grain running with the spindle as it would for, well...spindle turning) This is common for hollow vessels, anyway, so it's a good way to get some practice with the tools you have in a safe way. Wait for your "real" bowl gouges to arrive before getting deeper into the faceplate oriented workpieces.

Bill Arnold
09-30-2008, 5:12 PM
Ron & Jim -- thanks for your input. I was just killing time this afternoon waiting for the glue to dry on a new mantel I'm building. Is that kinda like watching grass grow? :confused:

I just checked on my order of bowl gouges. They're being delivered this afternoon! Shoulda kept up with which orders are in queue, I guess! I'll let you know how things work out on the next go-around.

:D

Paul Atkins
09-30-2008, 5:19 PM
One thing I remember Del Stubbs showing me was turning the lathe by hand -1-20 rpm - and you can really see how the tool cuts (and catches). It's easier if you get someone else to turn it so yo can use both hands like you would if turning under power.

Steve Schlumpf
09-30-2008, 5:57 PM
Bill - any chance you know some other turners in your area? Would save you a lot of hassle if you could actually see how to turn a bowl! Other option is a turning club - or even Bill Grumbine's video 'Turned Bowls Made Easy'. Have fun with it but make it a safe experience as well as fun! Keep us in the loop as to your progress with the bowls!

Bill Arnold
09-30-2008, 7:58 PM
Bill - any chance you know some other turners in your area? Would save you a lot of hassle if you could actually see how to turn a bowl! Other option is a turning club - or even Bill Grumbine's video 'Turned Bowls Made Easy'. Have fun with it but make it a safe experience as well as fun! Keep us in the loop as to your progress with the bowls!
Steve,

I haven't met any other woodworkers in the area, although I've been searching for clubs, etc. I got a lead from the UPS guy today about someone just a few blocks away from me who gets regular deliveries from one of the vendors I use, so I plan to call him soon. There are great things about living in a small town and other things that are not so great, but we ain't about to do anywhere else. ;)

I've viewed a number of videos online, on DVD and, of course, have watched innumerable woodworking shows on TV. I'm not afraid of any of my tools, but I sure as heck respect their power. Between all of that and the help from folks on this and other forums, I know I'll get where I want to go -- sooner or later! :D

Steve Schlumpf
09-30-2008, 9:29 PM
Bill - I understand about the blessings of living in a small town! I didn't know anyone else who turned until I had been turning (self taught) for close to a year. Next thing I know my neighbor is a turner, a guy just down the block is a turner, a guy across the highway, etc. Sometimes it just takes a little bit of time for the word to get out but you will find there are a lot of us out there! Have fun with your new bowl gouge - and I look forward to seeing some of your bowls real soon!