PDA

View Full Version : Large Monitors

Mike Null
09-30-2008, 2:46 PM
In doing a little homework before buying a larger monitor I came across a link where a study had proven more than two hours per day could be saved with the efficiencies gained through the use of a 24" monitor.

I hadn't considered that but I purchased a 24" monitor yesterday and can already see time saving simply on my Corel Draw program alone.

If you're considering a large monitor check to see whether you might need a new graphics card.

Jeffrey Makiel
09-30-2008, 3:34 PM
I don't know about 2 hours of savings per day, but if you're using a CAD program, the bigger the monitor the better. In fact, most CAD workstations sport two monitors now.

-Jeff :)

Don Bullock
09-30-2008, 4:13 PM
I'm very happy that I went with the 24" screen when i bought my iMac. It's amazing how much better a larger screen is than the smaller one I had.:D

Jim Becker
09-30-2008, 4:20 PM
I'm using a 22" wide screen on my personal machine and a standard aspect ratio 19" screen on my work machine. No question, the larger monitor is much more convenient for multi-tasking, etc. Frankly, the only applications I ever run "full screen" is Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premier Elements and the extra space is a big plus for those kinds of application. Under normal use, I have a browser window open, GoogleTalk and any conversations stacked to one side and a few side-bar applications. (Windows Vista)

I'll stay with the bigger format for all future purchases, too, outside of any mobile machine where weight and size are more of a concern.

Neal Clayton
09-30-2008, 4:40 PM
if you check the coupon code websites regularly, especially toward the end of a financial quarter, you'll find lots of dell coupon codes, some as high as 35% off have come about in recent years.

and a bit more advice for those who might take the bait ;), while you can order many computer components from anywhere i would buy a monitor from a place that will readily take it back. dead pixels on LCDs are common and to an extent acceptable, but dell will take a monitor back if you just call them and tell them you changed your mind, not everywhere will. so order one from a reputable dealer or buy local.

i've had both their 21 and 24" monitors and have no complaints.

Lee DeRaud
09-30-2008, 4:52 PM
If you're also in the market for a new PC, the HP/LCD bundles are a good deal. The 22" that came with mine is excellent and even has decent speakers built in. An unexpected bonus is that the design of the stand provides a "parking space" for my Wacom tablet.

(I have no idea who actually makes it.)

Tom Godley
09-30-2008, 6:04 PM
I love my 24" Mac's - it was a surprise to me how much the improvement was over my 20's.

The 20's were an improvement over the 17's -- but that was as much an improvement in the technology at the time. The did give you more area obviously.

The 24's give you the full two pages and then some!

David DeCristoforo
09-30-2008, 7:00 PM
The only thing better than a large screen is two large screens!

Jamie Delker
10-02-2008, 10:15 AM

You said it! At work I run a 22" widescreen LCD on the left, and a 19" on the right. I normally have 8 to 10 applications open at once, some I monitor constantly, others not so much, so the extra space keeps everything right in front of me.

Greg Narozniak
10-02-2008, 11:44 AM
AS a Computer Guy and Having had both a Single Very Large Monitor or 2 "smaller" monitors I would without a doubt go with 2. You can work on One screen and "throw" something up on the other screen and it is always up and there is no toggling.

A 22" Widescreen monitor is HUGE compared to a CRT that many still use. I never saw a need for a 24" + IMHO.

The first time my wife saw 2 Monitors together and I opened an Excel sheet that spread across both screens the response was "I need that now!"

curtis rosche
10-02-2008, 2:21 PM
large monitor ? i hear on the discovery channel that monitor lizards eat alot of food, and can eat small pets and kids. is this a shop security thing?:D:D:D:D:D:D:p:cool:

Joe Cunningham
10-02-2008, 2:48 PM

Agreed. When I worked in the office, we had dual monitors and now that I am working out of my home office, I am back to one. :(

Granted it is a 24" LCD, but still those dual monitors really were tough to give up. I could have Outlook running on the right (for spec emails, bugs, etc), my development environment on the right, and rather than alt-tab, I could just move my head.

Oh well, now I have a view of the forest out my back window. Makes up for CalTrain running by the office twice an hour.