PDA

View Full Version : James Swan tools

Terry Neumann
09-30-2008, 8:43 AM
In my search to get some turning tools to start with when I get the 1460 cleaned up and ready to go, I found a party that has a set of 8 old James Swan tools for sale. He's asking $50.00 for them. They look like they have been cleaned up and have some pitting on them. Does that matter? Is this a good deal or not. Would I be better off buying the tools new from the place suggested earlier for $60.00?

Terry

Bernie Weishapl
09-30-2008, 9:54 AM
I would think you would need to find out if they are carbon steel or HSS. Carbon steel will do the job but have to be sharpened much more often as they don't hold a edge for long. To start with I got the set from PSI for I think either $59 or $69. I got the one that had a bowl gouge in it along with a skew, spindle gouge, etc.

Terry Neumann
09-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Thanks Bernie

They look to be carbon steel. I'll stick with your advice on the set from PSI

Terry

Allen Neighbors
09-30-2008, 2:11 PM
I'd spend the 50 bucks for the James Swan tools, and then buy one other tool each month to supplement them. The James Swan tools may be worth much more than that, before long, and a quick hand-honing will do them right several times before you have to grind. :)

Paul Engle
09-30-2008, 2:53 PM
James Swan was a Conneticut tool maker in the late 1800's to early 1900'.Mostly hand tools for the mechanic wood worker. not supprising to see turning tools albeit they are most likely carbon steel. There may be intrinsic value there worth the price and start a " tool " collection of hand tools, nice addition to such.... his 6 " slick comes to mind ,,, nice for paring wood by hand. my neighbor has a Stanley 3" x 6" I rehabed for him . peal the fuzz off a peach it will.....