View Full Version : Finish Nailer recommendations

Bill Tims
09-30-2008, 7:56 AM
I have a DuoFast Framing gun, a DuoFast stapler and a Harbor Freight brad gun. When I wanted to put up a cedar fence, my only option was the framing gun which is a bit of overkill for the job. So, I’m looking for a finish nailer that uses sticks of nails, rather than the coil version. I want to be able to switch between nail sizes and I suspect that coil guns will be harder to do that with. Anyone have any suggestions on a brand/model?

Peter Quinn
09-30-2008, 8:10 AM
I would use my framer for fencing no problem, 8D ring shank nails hold better than any finish nailer, and come coated for exterior, though in a tannic wood like cedar i prefer stainless and would probably use #6 or #7 stainless trim head screws. Any coated nail is eventually going to bleed and rust in cedar if water becomes present, which is highly likely in a fence appication.

For trim I use a PC 15GA angled finish nailer, works great, have also had good luck with Senco.

Bill Dunn jr
09-30-2008, 9:04 AM
I have always liked Senco. The glue they use on the nails holds better than other brands.

Neal Clayton
09-30-2008, 4:26 PM
senco here too. the safety is overly picky on mine which i admit is a plus for safety, but still annoying for odd angles and such you get it just right and then realize you have no juice and have to bounce it to get it to fire :(. but for quality and consistency it works great, i'd buy it again.

Matt Ocel
09-30-2008, 6:29 PM
Finish nailer will never hold, over time the boards will pull loose.

I would either use your sheathing stapler with 1 1/2" or better yet your framer with 1 3/8 ring shanks.

Of course, thats MHO.

Bill Dunn jr
10-01-2008, 7:38 AM
I understand your concern Matt. In my experience I have built dozens of decks with 2x2 treated spindles, and some with cedar, nailed with my Senco using 8d finish nails and never had a problem with the boards pulling loose. I did have a competitor once who used Paslode and Bostich finish nails and he had all kinds of problems with the nails not holding. I know this because I had to go back and fix some of his deck rails.

Bill Tims
10-01-2008, 9:06 AM
Thanks for the responses. It is pretty clear that Senco is the way to go. Now does anyone have an opinion on air vs battery powered finish nailers? I see that Senco offers both. The battery would reduce setup time significantly, but I'm not sure that they will have the power to do the job.

Bill Dunn jr
10-01-2008, 10:33 AM
I bought the Senco airless finish nailer also (the newest version), to use on smaller jobs so I did not have to haul the heavy compressor around, and I have mixed feelings about it. Most of the time it works well but the times when it leaves a nail sticking out half way I wish I had the compressor with me. I would stick with the air powered gun especially since you can probably get one for 1/3 the cost of the airless.

Bill White
10-01-2008, 1:28 PM
Staples on fences, especially cedar. Regular brads won't last on the newer PT lumber. Cedar is gonna shrink too. Space accordingly. Wanna know how I know that?
Bill