PDA

View Full Version : Colour image inside acrylic?

Bob Davis
09-30-2008, 2:23 AM
Hi everybody,
I've had an enquiry from a customer for a colour image encapsulated inside an acrylic cube (around 60 x 60 x 60mm). Required number around 250, so they've got my attention.
I've got no idea how it's done and a google search has produced only limited success; this site gives an example http://www.creativeawards.co.uk/acrylic03.html

I've sometimes seen other items with the same type of product, but I have no idea how it's done. The items I've seen do not have an obvious join.

Can anybody shed any light on this procedure?

Joe Pelonio
09-30-2008, 8:12 AM
The image is screen printed onto clear acetate, which is embedded into the center as it's cast. Those acrylic ones are not a do-it-yourself project, there are not many manufacturers and the details of the process are tricky.

They use an acrylic resin powder and a clear liquid which is hand poured into molds and allowed to partially harden. Objects to be embedded are placed on it, then another layer is poured over the embedded object and the acrylic is again allowed to harden. Then it's cured in an oven for many hours and polished.

You can buy a casting resin kit at plastic supply like Tap and do it yourself,
it doesn't need curing or polishing. Not all inks will be compatible, some could run or otherwise deteriorate.

Richard Rumancik
09-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Personally I wouldn't try to cast these in-house. You will not be able to match the quality offered by the companies using cast Lucite.

If you want to prepare the artwork for your customer and buy these from a manufacturer, you might be able to mark them up enough to make a few dollars. If there is any laser engraving afterwards you could probably add that yourself (check with the manufacturer for laserability.) It should work since it is acrylic.

I'd try places like

http://www.clearmount.com/Home.htm
or
http://www.centurymfg.com/lucite_main.html

and see what the pricing would be and it there is an opportunity.

They may want to make the colored insert themselves to ensure the film and ink are compatible with the resin, heat of autoclaving, etc.

For searching try "acrylic embedments" and "Lucite".

Alternatives you can do yourself - maybe sandwich a printed film between two pieces of .25" laser-cut acrylic and secure them together with 4 decorative screws in the corners. Could use tinted acrylic. Mount on a base. Or maybe figure out how to insert something between two pieces of glass (like the ones sold as photo frames.) I realize it wouldn't be the same, but cost may be quite a bit less and that is sometimes the deciding factor.

Joe Pelonio
09-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Alternatives you can do yourself - maybe sandwich a printed film between two pieces of .25" laser-cut acrylic and secure them together with 4 decorative screws in the corners. Could use tinted acrylic. Mount on a base. Or maybe figure out how to insert something between two pieces of glass (like the ones sold as photo frames.) I realize it wouldn't be the same, but cost may be quite a bit less and that is sometimes the deciding factor.
I have done something similar, printed image on adhesive clear vinyl applied to 1/4" acrylic, then another piece on top. Rather than screws I use clear vinyl film wrapped around the edges, it's barely noticeable to the naked eye.

Roy Nicholson
10-01-2008, 7:44 AM
This is done with a UV curing box...

http://www.qlt.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=111IB

I made one for less than $100 to cure UV doming fluid.

it wouldnt be in the centre because the packing piece is much thinner but would give you a similar product.

Regards

Roy N.

Roy Nicholson
11-04-2008, 8:07 PM
This is what I built. I called in to buy a $3000 unit and they didn't have any in stock so I went home and built it.

It uses 2 x 18 watt Blacklight/Blue tubes standard Taiwan manufacture.

but works well as a UV exposure unit...

I painted it all white so that I could have the additonal reflection...white melamine may do the trick but I didn't have any the day I was building it.

It's very basic but I have two height settings with the two slots cut in the side the top one is closer to the light source.

I use it for Acrylic UV doming and it works well... The professional one is no quicker than mine.

Regards

Roy N.

Dave Johnson29
11-05-2008, 10:09 AM
I've had an enquiry from a customer for a colour image encapsulated inside an acrylic cube (around 60 x 60 x 60mm).

Hi Bob,

Not sure if this process would do but I used to encapsulate dead spiders in epoxy resin as paperweights. Pretty simple to do, pour a mold half full and when setting and slightly sticky, position the spider and pour some more to the top of the mold. When fully cured, cut to a neat cube size and polish the faces.

I used a slow setting water-clear epoxy. I had to wet the spider down with a solvent to prevent air bubbles on the fine hairs. Also cure it in the refrigerator as the heat build up would sometimes cause cracking. Don't ask why. :eek:

Gary and Jessica Houghton
11-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Dave,
How do you keep the spider from crawling away? :D

Craig Hogarth
11-05-2008, 1:33 PM
call clear image at 888-438-7537. They'll send you a retail catalog and some samples.

Niklas Bjornestal
11-05-2008, 2:26 PM
Dave,
Thats why he put in the spiders while the resin was still sticky :D

Dave Johnson29
11-05-2008, 8:36 PM

:):) As Niklas said, sticky epoxy.

Just kidding, I froze the spiders which killed them quickly. I then set them out for about 4 hours to warm up so I could "arrange" them.

Bob Cole
11-06-2008, 12:39 AM
That is really interesting. I am a sucker for the paperweights with insects in them. I have a collection of tarantulas and scorpions. It is surprising it grosses some people out.

Dave Johnson29
11-06-2008, 7:13 AM
I have a collection of tarantulas and scorpions. It is surprising it grosses some people out.

:):) Not sure about grossing some people out, but it sometime used to freak out my wife when she opened the freezer. :eek::eek:

Dan Hintz
11-06-2008, 8:41 AM
Nothing like a large jar of spiders gasping for a heating blanket when you grab for an Otter Pop ;)

AL Ursich
11-06-2008, 9:35 PM
I had a Visitor today to my UV Oven while making a Domed Sublimated tag. A bug landed in the wet tag in the oven. Unusual for this time of year in PA but a real problem last August at night.

Made a 6 tube UV oven and found it to work great.

Was having a bit of trouble putting Epoxy on the back of the tag as it sometimes ran over the edge sticking to the front.

I finally solved the problem by placing copy paper down and any spill over in the oven would show up easily. I could then quick clean the bottom or front face preventing a cured problem.

Just a few tips as I finish the 220 tag order tonight.

AL

Frank Corker
11-07-2008, 6:05 AM
Al, is the bug okay? Did he survive?

Dave Johnson29
11-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Al, is the bug okay? Did he survive?

Why Frank? Still hungry? ;)

AL Ursich
11-07-2008, 2:51 PM
Frank,

The Bug decided to Stick Around for a while...... Bet the PETA people will be after me..... or PETB.(bugs)..:D. Could be a whole new product line of Name Tags for the Bug, Termite and Roach Exterminators.... A Red Circle with a slash and a BUG in Eopxy.... Thinking outside the BOX... for new products. :D

Got this reply from the guy in England doing the acrylic.

Hi Al,

Basically we print onto transparency or card place it onto an acrylic block and pour over liquid acrylic. It's then put into an oven to set. Once that's done it's cut and polished.
Is this something you would like to get into then?
We're quite proud of the website too!

Thanks,

Alex.