PDA

View Full Version : Quilt Rack for Mom

todd johnson
09-29-2008, 9:54 PM
Here's a quilt rack made for mom. I told her that I was going to make one for a neighbor lady just because they've always been good neighbors. Mom's only response was "Make two". So here's the first of one. I'm not real fond of the oak buttons and plugs wouldn't have looked right if they were pushed in after the finish but I had to make it in a way that I could break it down to mail it and have it able to be put back together again by Dad. It's oak with walnut (got it for free) accenting it a little bit. Dyed, two coats of an oil mix then three coats of GF satin.

Don Bullock
09-29-2008, 10:45 PM
I'm sure that your mom and her friend will be thrilled with the result. Since you made them they will be even more special.

Lon LeBlanc
09-30-2008, 12:12 AM
Todd,

That's really beautiful. What a wonderful gift for "mom". I know she'll love it.

Lon

John Keeton
09-30-2008, 7:30 AM
Nice design - and an interesting change from the customary quilt rack. Finish turned out well, too. Good job!!

Samuel Brooks
09-30-2008, 8:12 AM
Very nice job.

Sam

Grant Davis
09-30-2008, 8:25 AM
Very nice Todd, thanks for posting this inspiration. This would make a great x-mas gift for my mom.....looks like I better get busy.

John Thompson
10-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Mom should be pleased as you did well. BTW.. what type stain did you use on the quilt rack. I start an oak coffee table today and I like the color.

Sarge..

todd johnson
10-01-2008, 9:22 PM
Mom should be pleased as you did well. BTW.. what type stain did you use on the quilt rack. I start an oak coffee table today and I like the color.

Sarge..

I used Quikrete liquid cement color - charcoal - to color in the deep grain by mixing some of it with water, brushing it on, letting it dry, then sanding it back taking most of it out. That is what mostly made it darker in the deep grain.
Then I used transtint dark mission brown mixed in distilled water as per directions that came with it - you can go darker or lighter. Transtint dyes (the ones that I have used) will change slightly as it dries and slightly with time. The images that you seen here are a final result and it'll stay the way it is now.

tom tangie
10-14-2008, 11:10 AM
it could double as a crib

Clara Koss
10-14-2008, 11:29 AM
very good job,,,, they will be so happy with the rack... and by word of mouth you will be busy making lots more for their friends... so get the wood ready!!!!!:rolleyes:

todd johnson
10-14-2008, 7:48 PM
very good job,,,, they will be so happy with the rack... and by word of mouth you will be busy making lots more for their friends... so get the wood ready!!!!!:rolleyes:

I managed to get ahold of some cherry railstock - 1 3/4" wide for .50 a linear foot and plan to make the next out of it. Similar design, just not so wide. The cherry will be easier to finish also. I just plan on putting a mixture of tung oil on it then GF satin topcoat.

tom tangie
10-15-2008, 10:07 AM
or for mattress slats