PDA

View Full Version : Put the wide-belt though its paces today...

Eric Larsen
09-29-2008, 8:30 PM
I have this niggling little voice in the back of my head that occasionally says, "Who the heck do you think you are having a Timesaver in your little garage shop?"

Everyone probably remembers my little "gloat of the year" when I got my 24" wide-belt for basically the same cost as a drum sander.

So, today I finally fired the Grizzly 9964 10hp wide belt. I'm in the middle of three jobs. Today's job was "mill paneling for the walk in closet."

Using the bandsaw, I resawed 1.5x8x10' spanish cedar into 1/4" boards. Then I ran the boards though the sander, 1/64" at a time, until they finally came to final dimension of 3/16" -- smooth as a baby's bottom.

Well, actually, smoother. Glass smooth. "High Mountain lake on a wind-free day" smooth.

My first cuts with the bandsaw were not good. I experienced some drift and some non-parallel cuts due to operator error. Even these resulted in usable panels (after some crosscutting).

After a six hour day, I had 3 2-foot boards (the mistakes), 15 3-foot boards, 14 4-footers and 4 5-footers.

The amount of time saved cannot be overstated. I MUCH prefer running the stock through the wide-belt five times. My old way would require running the stock through a planer twice, then hitting it for (what seems like) hours with a ROS.

Would a drum sander do as good a job? Probably, yes.

Is the 2-ton sander in my garage overkill? Most definitely.

If I had the same choice would I still buy a wide-belt? ABSOLUTELY!

J.R. Rutter
09-29-2008, 9:18 PM
Once you experience the widebelt, you never want to go back. That was an excellent score!

A couple of weeks ago, I blasted about 1200 pcs of 3 ft beaded wainscot through mine - just a kiss with 220 grit platen to get rid of the moulder knife marks. Ready to finish!

Karl Brogger
09-29-2008, 9:41 PM
A place I used to work at had 3 Timesavers sanders. 2 dual head models. One with course belts for the rough pass, and another with finer belts for a second pass. The third one had a random orbit head. That was awesome, with the right combination of profiles you didn't have to hand sand anything. We had moulders set up to do raised panels that also sanded the profile. Same with some of the door edges we ran.

When I started my shop I couldn't afford a widebelt sander, I bought a used 36" Woodmaster drum sander. It worked, but mother of god was it slow. Especially coming from my previous employers setup. Early this year I bought a Timesavers, Speedsander 36" widebelt. I also got this used. By far the best $5k I've spent so for. Now I'm saving for the 43" dual head model. :)