PDA

View Full Version : Round wooden name tags

Gail LaPorte
09-29-2008, 3:44 PM
Hi I have a customer looking for small round wooden name tags the have the bark around the edge of it,Looks like a slab you engrave on but are about 2 1/2 - 4 1/2 inches in size. They said they use to order them from Alberta , Canada but cant get them any more. Anyone know of a supplier for these.
Thank You very Much:)

Joe Pelonio
09-29-2008, 5:24 PM
I have seen those for sale at several craft stores like Joann, Ben Franklin and Michaels, but don't remember for sure which ones or sizes.

John W. Love
09-29-2008, 11:44 PM
I know I have seen those someplace. I am thinking it was at hobby lobby or Michaels. But, I can't swear on it. Shoot it could have been in a catalogue, but I am thinking it was in a store.

Scott Challoner
09-30-2008, 8:14 AM
They also have them at Wal-Mart. Ultimately, they all come from Wallnut Hollow (walnuthollow.com) at least here in WI. Maybe because they are in Wisconsin. They call them Basswood Country Rounds. I don't see anything that small on the website though. I have bought from them directly before, and I see it's easier now since they have added a shopping cart to the website.

Gail LaPorte
09-30-2008, 3:56 PM
Thank you all very much. I have seen the big ones but not the small but I will keep looking.

Margaret Turco
09-30-2008, 4:24 PM
I was at hobby lobby earlier today and did not see them.

Bill Cunningham
09-30-2008, 10:56 PM
I had a few here that were about 1.5 - 2" diagonal cut, with the bark on the edges.. These were cut in Northern Ontario, from a black spruce that grows very very slowly a 20 years old tree is only 1.5 to 2 inches around, so obviously the rings are very tight.. I bought these in Mooseonee Ontario up on James Bay.. The local tourist company cuts them for their guests name tags,(they write the names on with a black sharpie) and they had a few for the crafts people to play around with.. I would imagine small diameter oak branches would also work, once dry, sanded and coated..

Ray Mighells
10-01-2008, 1:32 PM
Oak end grain does not laser well. I've tried it on 2 5/8 dia spindles. Cherry works well if you watch the power level. I have lots of spindles but no bark on them. I've had them for more than 20 yrs so I would guess they are almost dry.