PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Blade Preferences

Anthony Whitesell
09-29-2008, 2:54 PM
As the time grows near for me to pull the trigger on a bandsaw, I realize I'll need some blades. I've seen lots of talk of various manufacturers (Lenox, Olson, Woodslicer, Timberwolf). Have I missed any? I also haven't had luck finding some of the ones I do know.

So what is your preferred manufacturer and where do you get them?

Curt Harms
09-29-2008, 3:31 PM
As the time grows near for me to pull the trigger on a bandsaw, I realize I'll need some blades. I've seen lots of talk of various manufacturers (Lenox, Olson, Woodslicer, Timberwolf). Have I missed any? I also haven't had luck finding some of the ones I do know.

So what is your preferred manufacturer and where do you get them?
I'm using Timberwolf and Supercut. I haven't used the Supercut blade much yet but theoretically it should stay sharper with carbide impregnation. The Supercut blade doesn't have brazed on teeth and doesn't seem like it'd be prone to fatigue failure on 14" saws as TriMasters are reported to be. Louis Iturra is another source. He's reputed to have the same blade as the woodslice for less money. I have no personal experience with Iturra though he has a very good reputation. No web site though.

Here's Supercut's web site: http://supercutbandsaw.com/. Delivery takes about a week from Idaho to the East Coast. I think they use FedEx ground unless you're in a hurry.

Curt

Bill White
09-29-2008, 4:09 PM
Timberwolf and a Woodslicer re-saw blade.
Bill

Ron Edwards
09-29-2008, 7:35 PM
If you don't mind ordering from Camada you could try www. Tufftooh.com
as they carry the Swedish Silicon as well as a blade called the little ripper
high tungston silicon steel have seen it in action seem to do a good job.
Ron

Eric Larsen
09-29-2008, 7:40 PM
I use my BS mostly for resawing, therefore I use the Woodslicer. A very happy customer.

Phil Thien
09-29-2008, 7:48 PM
I recently tried a Blade Runner from Iturra on my little 10" Craftsman 21400. The Blade Runner is made from the same SharpTech stock as the Woodslicer from Highland. The only real difference is the price: Woodslicer 70-1/2" blade is approx. $30, while the Blade Runner is about $13.

The quality of the blade is phenomenal. The little Craftsman saw is a nice little saw, but it is only 1/3-HP. Previous 3 and 4-TPI blades I tried struggled to get through 4-1/2" stock (maximum resaw on the 21400 is 4-5/8"). The Blade Runner cuts like a hot knife through butter, with a better finish than anything else I've tried.

Jim Becker
09-29-2008, 8:11 PM
My general blade purchases from from Suffolk Machinery (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com)...the Timberwolf folks. I also like the Lennox carbide tipped blades for re-saw work. (historically the TriMaster, but I want to try the new Woodmaster CT the next time around)

James Carmichael
10-03-2008, 7:59 AM
I haven't used the Supercut blade much yet but theoretically it should stay sharper with carbide impregnation. T

I tried a supercut and I was unhappy.

I've been happy with plain ol carbon Lennox & Starrett blades. I prefer the latter from BCsaw, but the shipping from Canada has gotten prohibitive. Wish I could find Starrett stock in the states welded as good as BC does it.

John Thompson
10-03-2008, 9:13 AM
I use Lennox for bi-metal (which I really like for both ripping and re-saw as they're cheaper than carbide) and carbide. I have used the Wood-slicer for years but find it dulls much quicker than the bi-meta. I'm not picky about standard carbon blades for curves and usually purchase the brand they carry at Higland Woodworking as I pretty much keep a 1/4" 6 tpi on my small bandsaw just for curves.... plastic.. whatever.

Sarge..

Anthony Whitesell
10-03-2008, 9:33 AM
What is your preferred vendor for the Lenox Woodmaster CT blades? I'm trying to find someone reputable who may have them.

Anthony Whitesell
10-03-2008, 9:39 AM
I can't speak of the welding, but it appears that Woodworker's supply carries them. www.woodworker.com

Jack Hutchinson
11-25-2008, 6:04 PM
But Luis steered me away from the Woodmaster CT - said it is designed for bandsaw mills, that he hears there is buzz about it on the internet, and so he's stocking it now.

888-722-7078 9-5 EST.

Chris Padilla
11-25-2008, 6:38 PM
I got my Woodmaster CT from a somewhat local to the bay area place called Hastings Saws (http://www.hastingssaws.com/) and I also picked up a Lenox Diemaster2 (bimetal, 6 tpi, 1/2", hook style).

I have to say that I was not impressed with the Woodmaster CT compare to my Trimaster and the Diemaster2: the cut was quite rough.

The Trimaster and Diemaster2 cut great for resawing but I like the bimetal due to smaller kerf (~1/32") versus the Trimaster (1/16"). The Woodmaster is supposed to be at 0.051" but the cut is so rough, you'd have to cut thicker veneers to sand them down. My main goal was veneer yield from a board and I think the Diemaster2 is going to fit the bill nicely. The only thing is, it won't last anywhere near as long as the Trimaster so we'll see how many cuts I get from it.

Marcus Ward
11-25-2008, 6:56 PM
Woodslicer (Bladerunner from Iturra). Great cut, killer finish.

Mark Singer
11-25-2008, 8:09 PM
The Olson MVP and the Lenox Trimaster are very good blades and very different. Both have good blade life which means good value.

Bill Huber
11-25-2008, 8:58 PM
I have only 2 different brands of blades Olson and Timberwolf. Side by side the Timberwolf out does the Olson, it tracks better, it cuts smoother and it cuts faster, same teeth on both blades.

Russ Massery
11-25-2008, 9:10 PM
Timberwolf blades for everyday use. And a Lennox Trimaster for resawing.

Greg Carr
11-26-2008, 9:38 AM
I have two Lenox bimetal blades that I use on an 18" bandsaw. A 1/2" 3TPI which i normally keep on the saw, this is my general purpose/resaw blade. A 1/4" 6TPI that I use for tighter curves and detail work. I purchase both blades from a local sharpening service for under $100. I was planning to get a 3/4 to 1" blade for resawing, local dealer suggested the 1/2" 3TPI and I am very satisfied with it. It is a very versital blade. These blades should work fine on any 14" or larger bandsaw.

Sonny Edmonds
11-26-2008, 10:19 AM
I've tried others and my hats in the ring for Timberwolf.
Of course, there are times I can break an anvil with a glass hammer. But that aside, and sans my burl hacking with the bandsaw, the "wolfs" have done good for me.
And what's hard about ordering them? Suffolk Machinery (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/). :confused: