PDA

View Full Version : Looking to learn the router

Rick Huelsbeck
09-29-2008, 10:14 AM
If this is not the right place for this, please move to appropriate forum. I live in Louisville, KY and would like to find a place that can offer more than an introductory class in the use of a router.

J. Z. Guest
09-29-2008, 11:03 AM
My local Woodcraft store has classes like this. You might look up your local Woodcraft location.

I would say my #1 woodworking book purchase was Bill Hylton's Woodworking with the Router (http://www.amazon.com/Woodworking-Router-UpdatedProfessional-Techniques-Woodworker/dp/0762108002/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222700400&sr=1-2) book. There is just so much useful information in there. I refer to it constantly. I read, skimmed it once, then put it on the shelf. When I need to accomplish something weird, there is usually a way to do it with the router.

I don't know why Amazon doesn't seem to carry it new, but they have references to other sellers besides that crook who is asking $125 for it.

Tony Bilello
09-29-2008, 11:21 AM
I dont like to buy anything 'sight unseen'. Go to the library, I'm sure your local libraries are chock full of router books jig books. Find the one's you like and then go online and purchase the ones you would like to keep for reference.

Tony B

Randal Stevenson
09-29-2008, 11:42 AM
My local Woodcraft store has classes like this. You might look up your local Woodcraft location.

I would say my #1 woodworking book purchase was Bill Hylton's Woodworking with the Router (http://www.amazon.com/Woodworking-Router-UpdatedProfessional-Techniques-Woodworker/dp/0762108002/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222700400&sr=1-2) book. There is just so much useful information in there. I refer to it constantly. I read, skimmed it once, then put it on the shelf. When I need to accomplish something weird, there is usually a way to do it with the router.

I don't know why Amazon doesn't seem to carry it new, but they have references to other sellers besides that crook who is asking $125 for it.

I agree with this book, and I didn't realize the price has jumped recently. They must be revising it again, so it is currently out of print. You could find a local copy cheaper and I do agree with the library part, but this is THE book that I would buy and keep.

Also, depending on what is close to you, you could go to your local hardwood store and ask if they have a pegboard (wanted/for sale/local woodworking groups).

pat warner
09-29-2008, 2:43 PM
Can do, from the armature to the templet (http://patwarner.com/consulting.html), year round.

Don Bullock
09-29-2008, 2:58 PM
Your local Woodcraft store does offer classes. Check here for the listing.
http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/store.aspx?id=509&nav=classes

They do have an introductory class on the router:

Woodcraft University: Router 101 with Mike McCarthy
Where at: Woodcraft of Louisville
Hunnington Place
1850 So. Hurstbourne Parkway, Ste. 148
Louisville, KY 40220
Class Days: Thursday, November 13, 5:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Skill Level: None
Class Size: 6
Tools Required: Ear Protection, Safety Glasses, Router & Router Bits
Description: This Woodcraft University class will cover three objectives: to familiarize the students with their router and its components, to review the various router bits and the appropriate application of each, and to familiarize the students with the operation and adjustment of the router. This is a hands-on class, so each student will have the opportunity to make several cuts.
Prerequisite: None
Tuition: $65.00
How to sign up: You can e-mail us at louisville-retail@woodcraft.com or call us at (502) 671-0900 to learn how to register.
Please Note: Fees are nonrefundable within one week of the scheduled seminar.

They may offer more. Just ask if they have one of have considered having one.

In some areas adult education schools and/or community colleges have classes on woodworking. Check with the schools in your area.

Orlando Gonzalez
09-29-2008, 8:35 PM
Rick,
Try to get Pat Warner's "The Router Book" from Amazon. He is recognized as one of the authorities of the router and all its applications. Also, take him up on his offer at the link he provided. All you have to do is call him and he answers the phone or email him with whatever questions you may have. I have personally have immensely benefited (technique, safety, types of bits, fixturing) from his input. Plus, I have practically bought all of his jigs, all guides, fences, base plates, morticer, etc.

HTH
Orlando

Joe Vincent
09-29-2008, 8:50 PM
I took an introductory router course some years back at a Woodcraft. It was okay, but after having already spent only a little time with a router book and experimenting with my router, I didn't really learn anything from the class. Get a basic router and one of the books and/or a video and start using it.

Jeff Strickler
09-30-2008, 3:47 AM
You may have already done this, but check your local library. Mine had a good assortment of both books and dvds on the subject.

Chris Parks
10-01-2008, 8:08 AM
Look at the Woodworking channel, there are lots of videos of routing on there, Google it. I bet Youtube has a heap of stuff also, though I haven't looked.