PDA

View Full Version : Quick Router Circle Jig

Frank Hagan
09-29-2008, 2:10 AM
I was looking for a router circle jig, and was shocked at the prices. Having a bit of hardboard laying around, I thought perhaps I could copy a design I found on the Internet, Kurt's Circle Jig (http://members.aol.com/pogo9959/Router.htm). Kurt used plexiglass for the "slider" portion, with a rabbet cut on each side. I went for the easy way out and just used three layers of 1/4" tempered hardboard I had in the shop.

The top layer has the base dimension of the router cut out.

The middle layer has just a "hole" sized the same as in the bottom of the router, so it supports the router and allows the bit to protrude through it. It also has a 1" wide slot cut from the long edge to the center of where the bit goes through.

The bottom layer has the same "hole" cut in it, and a 1/2" slot centered on the center of the bit. The slider is a piece of hardboard 15/16" wide and 18" long glued to a piece 7/16" wide and the same length. Glued together, this slider forms the trammel arm, and can slide right up next to the router bit or, reversed, slide away from the bit at least 18". A small hole drilled in it fits over a pin inserted in the middle of the stock to be cut. The picture of Kurt's jig, done much more professionally than mine, shows the concept.

A couple of t-nuts you can see in the pictures are inserted on the bottom of the top layer, so when it is all glued together you can tighten thumbscrews down to hold the trammel bar in place.

The jig works great, and because you can position the trammel arm right next to the bit, you can cut very small circles with it. Cutting a 2 1/4" circle in 3/4" plywood was no problem yesterday, although it comes close to maxing out the depth of my current router. Kurt's version, with the trammel arm at 1/4" total depth and rabbeted, saves another 1/4".

Bill Huber
09-29-2008, 8:44 AM
Frank that is a nice looking jig, I think the way you built it, it should last awhile.

So now I guess you have circles of all sizes laying around the shop.:D

Frank Hagan
09-30-2008, 4:57 PM
I'm building some speakers, each with two mid-range woofers and a tweeter, so there were 6 round holes (with a rabbet) to cut. The tweeters required a hole smaller than the base of my router, so the usual thing I hack together ... a trammel arm ... wouldn't work. I built this thinking I would go ahead and get the commercial Jasper Router Circle Jig if I end up making more speakers.

This works so well I don't think I will!

Peter Quinn
09-30-2008, 6:43 PM
Nice jig Frank. i am often amazed anybody buys those factory made jigs. Not so hard to make a trammel. Yours looks great.

David Milstone
08-21-2009, 8:18 PM
I'm building some speakers, each with two mid-range woofers and a tweeter, so there were 6 round holes (with a rabbet) to cut. The tweeters required a hole smaller than the base of my router, so the usual thing I hack together ... a trammel arm ... wouldn't work. I built this thinking I would go ahead and get the commercial Jasper Router Circle Jig if I end up making more speakers.

This works so well I don't think I will!

Frank,

I'm using your jig, slightly modified, to build TriTrix speakers (sounds like these may be the same as you built?), and for the same reasons you cite. Commercial jigs are too expensive for what you get and less versatile. Your jig is absolutely great. Thanks for the idea and illustrations.

Dave