PDA

View Full Version : Festool and Fein Vacs -- How Quiet?

Joe Vincent
09-28-2008, 10:27 PM
I use a 5 gallon Shop Vac for general shop cleanup. And I recently started using it to clean sandpaper periodically as I sharpen via the Scary Sharp method. The thing is that the Shop Vac is a serious howler and I've got some hearing damage that I don't want to get worse. I don't want to have to put on ear protection every time I turn it on even if sometimes for 10 or 15 seconds.

Aside from all the other benefits of the Festool and Fein vacuums, are they quiet enough to warrant paying the dough to get one of them in my situation? Or will I still need ear protection when I turn them on and so I should just do the same with what I already have?

I appreciate your advice on this.

Per Swenson
09-28-2008, 10:32 PM
Hey Joe,

Quiet. Take a look here (http://www.consumersearch.com/www/house_and_home/shop-vac-reviews/reviews.html)

Per

Bruce Page
09-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Joe, I bought the Fein T-III vac for the sole purpose of reducing the decibel in my shop. I had a perfectly good Craftsman vac that sucked like the dickens but the noise level was unbearable after just a few minutes. I can’t speak to the Festool but I have been very happy with the Fein.

Joel Goodman
09-28-2008, 11:12 PM
I have a Fein -- it's a lot quieter than the "Shop Vac" types.

Erik Frederiksen
09-28-2008, 11:19 PM
I used to use hearing protection too with shop vacs, until I bought Festool vacs. They are much quieter.

Randal Stevenson
09-28-2008, 11:21 PM
I have a Fein and a Lowe's brand shop vac. Once I got the Fein, the Lowe's has been relegated to moisture duties (VERY INFREQUENTLY).

I would love an excuse to buy another Fein for myself.

Joe Vincent
09-28-2008, 11:25 PM
I suppose the Fein and Festool vacs are about the same in terms of noise? Is either appreciably quieter?

Joe Vincent
09-28-2008, 11:59 PM
Well, I just read a Fine Homebuilding review from last year that said the Fein Turbo II is the quietest of the tool triggered shop vacs.

Next question: Is it possible to find sales or discounts on Fein vacs or are there no bargains like Festool?

Randal Stevenson
09-29-2008, 12:38 AM
When I bought mine, Woodcraft had one of those 15% off sales, that did not exclude Fein. I picked mine up cheaper then the next place I saw it (Amazon).

I have seen them on sale on Amazon, once, long ago. But I believe that may have been around the time you could get a bargain on a Fein I without the tool start feature that they added (those were closeouts).

Joe Jensen
09-29-2008, 12:40 AM
Old shop vacs, 90+ decibels
Fein 59 decibels
Festool 72 decibels

10 decibels higher is twice as loud..joe

Erik Frederiksen
09-29-2008, 1:04 AM
Interesting, just saw the Kapex is also rated at 72 dB, compared to 84 dB for a Makita 10" slider.

Tom Henderson2
09-29-2008, 1:40 AM
Hi Joe-

I'm shopping for a quiet vac too.

When I was at the Woodworking show last Spring, I was impressed with the Festool CT22. They turned one on and we were able to have a normal conversation even though the vac was just a few feet away.

That sold me. I still gag on the price, but not only will MY ears benefit, but I want to be a good neighbor as well.

I haven't seen a Fein in person but they get good reviews. I'm hoping to acquire a Festool rail-guided saw for breaking up sheet goods someday, so thought I'd stay with the Festool line.

-TH

Gary Curtis
09-29-2008, 1:52 AM
A WWing catalog arrived just yesterday showing three new models from Fein. The size and shape of the canister have changed. Other specs seem the same.

My Fein Turbo II was purchased for my shop. My wife steals it each week to clean our house. It is less noisy than our old 'torpedo' Electrolux. And does a better job, as well.

About once a year Amazon has crazy sale prices on Fein.

Gary Curtis

peter de tappan
09-29-2008, 5:44 AM
I've had a Fein for close to 10 years. Powerful and quiet. One of my smarter tool purchases. I wouldn't even consider one of those 90+ decibel 5 (peak) horsepower atrocities sold at the BORGs.

Jim Becker
09-29-2008, 7:30 AM
I haven't used the Fein, but I do have the CT-22. It's quiet compared to any other vac I've used outside of the latest one that Professor Dr. SWMBO acquired for the first floor of the house. One of the nice things about a vac that has variable speed is that you can dial it every quieter when the job does not require full power. I often run mine slower for sander dust extraction, especially at the finer grits. Does just as good a job and the sander isn't as "sticky" to the smoother and smoother workpiece.

The good news is that even some of the mass market products are starting to get a little quieter, but you have to really look around and test them to be sure they are what you want. I think that when you put together the utility of the Fein and Festool vacs (or similar) including the auto switching capablity, better filtration and variable speed (when applicable), you get a lot for the money and a machine that will give many, many years of service.

Bob Aquino
09-29-2008, 7:36 AM
They are about as quiet as a typical household vac. I have the cheapest Fein, bought it a couple of years ago when woodcraft was closing them out for 130. Love it, use shopvac bags which seem to fit it just fine.

Charlie Plesums
09-29-2008, 8:46 AM
I have been very pleased with my small Fein. Quiet and lots of power, and the auto-start is important. I use hearing protection with lots of the tools, but not sanding, using the Fein with the sanders. The regular shop vacs have been moved out.

I chose the small unit rather than a large one, so it takes less space in the shop. I use the dust collector to empty it, which takes just a moment.

Karl Brogger
09-29-2008, 9:01 AM
Alto Wap is a good choice too.

http://www.ultimategarage.com/frontpage-images/attix8.jpg

A company I used to work for had these, I was really impressed. Tons of suction, and amazingly quiet.

John Eaton
09-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Anyone experience the PC 7812? I was wondering how it compared (noise, etc). The comments on Amazon appear favorable.

-- John

Joe Jensen
09-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Alto Wap is a good choice too.

http://www.ultimategarage.com/frontpage-images/attix8.jpg

A company I used to work for had these, I was really impressed. Tons of suction, and amazingly quiet.

I have a WAP and it's only 56db. Same or more suction than the rest, and the quiestest. With bags the suction is huge no matter how full the bag is. WAP is more expensive, but the best (and that's from a huge Festool fan :D)

Chris Rosenberger
09-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Anyone experience the PC 7812? I was wondering how it compared (noise, etc). The comments on Amazon appear favorable.

-- John

I have the PC 7812 & the Festool CT33. The PC is a lot quiter than a regular shop vac & the Festool is quiter than the PC. The Festool has a lot more suction than the PC. The PC is a good vac for the money.

Bill White
09-29-2008, 4:16 PM
but, I bought a muffler for my old Ridgid. What a difference it made.
Bill