PDA

View Full Version : Could Porter Cable Really Be That Slimey?

Larry Nall
09-28-2008, 9:34 PM
I've got a couple of mid range routers in a couple of cheap tables. I've always wanted to build the ultimate router table around one of the big top end routers, either the PC7518 or the Mil 5625. I've watched the unual suspects but the prices have remained pretty stable and high.

I was excited when I looked at the last Woodcraft sales flyer featuring the 7518 motor for $300 with a $50 rebate 'from the manufacturer". Since I'm going to put this in a lift, the motor is all I need. Leaping into action...well at least making a couple of quick mouse clicks, I went to the Delta/PC homepage. Interestingly, the 7518 page is dead and hasn't been fixed in a couple of weeks. I've been to that page plenty of times, it worked then, the rest of the site works.

Now perhaps this was legit. I could have ordered from Woordcraft and possibly received a rebate coupon and all would have been cool. But it seemed really suspicious. My dilemma was solved when Amazon offered the motor for the $250.

I'm not really POed. I got the router I wanted at the price I wanted. Still, having that rebate would make this a real gloat. I'm not the paranoid conspirancy theory type, but I can't help but think... drum up some business with a big promotion, kill the link to the site for the rebate, play dumb till the rebate expires???

I've got several PC tools, I've abused them and they still work great. Up till now I've had a good view of PC although I've heard their quality is on the skids. If they really are that slimey that would be it for me and PC tools.

So what to you folks thinK? Could they really be that slimey?:confused:

Jim O'Dell
09-28-2008, 9:59 PM
Did you call Woodcraft to check about the rebate? Some rebates are geared to who is selling the item, and can't be used on the identical item purchased elsewhere. Computer software companies do this all the time.
Still, 250.00 for the motor is a decent deal. I haven't seen anything better in a few years. I got my 7518 from Amazon about 4 years ago on sale, plus they had an extra 50.00 off purchase for Father's Day. That made it 229.00. I've used the base a couple times, but the motor basically lives in my PRL in the table. Probably won't come out now that I've got an extra router in the form of the Hitachi 2 1/4 HP router as a rebate on the Hitachi slider I bought last Feb. Jim.

Dick Strauss
09-28-2008, 10:05 PM
Larry,
If it were me, I'd be happy I got the same final price at Amazon without the hassle of the rebate process.

FYI-every PC router link is dead... http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/CategoryOverview.aspx?catPath=4272.4554.4557

Bruce Page
09-28-2008, 11:15 PM
I agree with Dick. I'm not sure what your gripe is.
Websites have issues all the time.

Larry Nall
09-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Don't get me wrong. I am happy with the deal I got.
I'd prefer to think a major company wouldn't intentionally do something like that. I was looking for some reassurance that that this was just 'one of those things'.

Mike Heidrick
09-29-2008, 12:36 AM
Call Them

Welcome to the Porter Cable rebate site.

If you have any additional questions about your rebate, please contact
Customer Support at 866-375-6287.
Customer Support is available from 8:00 am - 4:30 pm EST, Monday thru Friday.

Mike Heidrick
09-29-2008, 12:37 AM
Rebate is here - expired 7/31/08

Should have asked sooner ;)

http://www.toolrebates.com/Porter-Cable/PC_Router_25_Rebate_Form.pdf

J. Greg Jones
09-29-2008, 5:34 AM
The rebate is linked to purchases from Woodcraft. The rebate form is available from a link on Woodcraft's page for the 7518 motor, or directly here (http://www.woodcraft.com/rebates/7518router.pdf).

Anthony Anderson
09-29-2008, 9:07 AM
Porter Cable didn't do anything "slimy". They must have worked with Woodcraft to offer this router with a rebate which would be exclusive to Woodcraft purchase. That is not underhanded, just companies working together. Keep in mind, sales on woodworking tools/supplies are slowing probably more than most hobbies these days. Couple that with the fact that the profit margin, is not so great on these tools anyway, at least for the end retailer, so stores like Woodcraft must get creative to try and keep sales up. Be happy:). Enjoy your router:D. Regards, Bill

Ben Rafael
09-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Call PC customer service. I've dealt with them a few times. As long as you aren't complaining about the 890 router plunge base being a pile of garbage, and requesting a refund since they cannot and will not fix them, they are actually helpful.

Curt Harms
09-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Larry,
If it were me, I'd be happy I got the same final price at Amazon without the hassle of the rebate process.

FYI-every PC router link is dead... http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/CategoryOverview.aspx?catPath=4272.4554.4557

What I find a little curios is that I don't see any of the "borg special" tools I hear about on Delta-Porter Cable's web site. It may be that the people responsible for DeWalt Service Net are now running the Delta/PC web site as well. If so, it's just NUWS(Another Useless Web Site).

Curt

Jeffrey Makiel
09-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Although not specific to Woodcraft or Porter Cable, I've given up on all rebates on anything.

-Jeff :)

Denny Rice
09-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Call PC customer service. I've dealt with them a few times. As long as you aren't complaining about the 890 router plunge base being a pile of garbage, and requesting a refund since they cannot and will not fix them, they are actually helpful.

A sign of the times.....Its sad, maybe SMC should have a mock funeral for Porter Cable and the quality tools it has built over the yrs. LOL

Chris Varas
09-29-2008, 1:44 PM
My dilemma was solved when Amazon offered the motor for the $250.
I'm in the market for a same thing. Do you have a link to the $250 deal from Amazon? I just checked their site and didn't see the motor for sale separately at any price?

Larry Nall
10-02-2008, 12:44 AM
The rebate is linked to purchases from Woodcraft. The rebate form is available from a link on Woodcraft's page for the 7518 motor, or directly here (http://www.woodcraft.com/rebates/7518router.pdf).

Greg, thanks for the link. You are right that it is a Woodcraft specific deal. While my faith in corporate America is pretty shakey of late, it is, at least, restored in this case,

Rick Fisher
10-02-2008, 1:45 AM
Your dealing with Black and Decker. The company that made wrapping Chinese tools in US style cases an art form...