PDA

View Full Version : Vortex? What Vortex! yea its a new tool thread

Joe Mioux
09-28-2008, 9:14 PM
Well, I finally broke down and bought some turning stuff.

Last Sunday, I was in WC in STL and they told me that WC's Oct sale included on Nova 1624 for $850 v $1200 reg price.

I told them to put my name on one.

Friday, I was back in there and they asked if I wanted my lathe. I said ok.

I bought a couple extra things as well.....

here are the pics.

Joe Mioux
09-28-2008, 9:18 PM
The thompson gouges were purchased online on Thurs and I got them Sat. Also, here is my side of our two car garage. Anna, aka LOML, told me the next thing I buy is an addition - New dedicated space for the WW tools - to garage.

She doesn't care what I buy, but she is getting perturbed with my tools and her Durango occupying the same space.

Jim Becker
09-28-2008, 9:19 PM
Hook....line....and sinker... :D :D :D

Dick Strauss
09-28-2008, 9:36 PM
Joe,
Congrats on the new lathe! I was surprised when I saw how nice the fit and finish was on that one (especially at the $1000 price at the time). I think you got a really great deal!

Hope to see a little something turned soon,
Dick

Scott Hubl
09-28-2008, 9:40 PM
NICE job jumpimg in head first without even sticking a toe in to test the water temp!

Good choices along with the lathe.
Congrats.

Joe Mioux
09-28-2008, 9:45 PM
oh yea, i forgot to mention. I saved $485 on these tools. WC is having a sale. the 1624 cost $850 and the sorby's cost $200 v $304 reg.

the jigs/grinder combo saved me an additonal $25 ish

joe

Joe Mioux
09-28-2008, 9:50 PM
Joe,
Congrats on the new lathe! I was surprised when I saw how nice the fit and finish was on that one (especially at the $1000 price at the time). I think you got a really great deal!

Hope to see a little something turned soon,
Dick

Dick, you should have seen the smiles on three out of four of my kids' faces today.

Jennifer, who has been seen here chopping mortises was totally stoked!.

Nicholas was just as excited, but he also has to bide his time with football and his girlfriend.

Michael started thinking of all the possiblities of the lathe.

christina is 8. she doesn't care.

Anna says build a work shop.

joe

all totaled, excluding the thompson's i paid $1519.

Greg Just
09-28-2008, 9:55 PM
It's like Christmas in September! That's quite a hall! :D

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Yep Joe hook, line and sinker. You got a great deal on everything. Now take the fence off the table saw so you have room for finishing and extra blanks.:eek::D:rolleyes::cool:;)

Congrats on a fine haul. Sounds like you have some others that may get there feet wet.

Curt Fuller
09-28-2008, 10:22 PM
oh yea, i forgot to mention. I saved $485 on these tools. WC is having a sale. the 1624 cost $850 and the sorby's cost $200 v $304 reg.

the jigs/grinder combo saved me an additonal $25 ish

joe

That's what I call the "One more good deal and we're broke" economic plan!

You've got it bad! Welcome aboard!

Don Carter
09-28-2008, 10:23 PM
I guess throwing you a lifeline would be out of the question, huh? I really couldn't help you, I'm further down the turning hole than you are...
Great stuff! I bought the Nova 1624 a couple of weeks ago and I love it. Congratulations!

Bill Bolen
09-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Congrats Joe! Now that you have a great lathe, big ole bandsaw and most of the required lathe accessories just sell off all that other stuf. It will only be collecting dust now. Plus you have room for the Durango and the remaining space can be used to store turning blanks!!...Bill..

Steve Schlumpf
09-28-2008, 10:35 PM
Congrats on jumping into the vortex Joe! You are going to love it! Looks like you made some really good choices and managed to save money at the same time! That's unusual for the vortex - usually you just spend money! Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing some of your turnings real soon!

Allen Neighbors
09-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Get those kids into it, and it'll cost ya sure!! That would be a good thing, too. :D
Congratulations on being an aspiring addict. :D

Leo Van Der Loo
09-28-2008, 11:27 PM
So where are all the shavings ????????, that lathe and shop is way too clean :p :D ;)
Better give that Chainsaw a workout and bring some wood into the shop and then get the savings flying, wouldn't take too long to cover the Durango up :eek: :D ;)
"Welcome to the vortex" :D

Ken Fitzgerald
09-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Congrats Joe! See if that Woodcraft Store offers lessons. They would expedite your turning skills.

Locate and join a local turning club.

Enjoy!

BTW Folks....this may be the 1st documented case of a SawStop turned into a turning blank storage area!:rolleyes: