PDA

View Full Version : DNA disposal ?

Terry Achey
09-28-2008, 8:47 PM
How do you dispose your DNA solution? I don't know if my DNA "dip" is water logged yet to the point of being ineffective, but I know at some point I'll need to get get rid of the brew and start a fresh batch.

I've been using a two gallon batch for about 6 bowls know. I know there is a method to measure specifc gravity and calcuate the actual moisture content, but the process requires an investment in accurate scales and, frankly, too much math for my liking. :D I think it's simpler (okay... easier) to just refresh periodically.

Thoughts on disposal method?

Terry

Mike Henderson
09-28-2008, 9:40 PM
The majority of DNA is ethanol with a small amount of methanol thrown in to denature it. You can put it anywhere it will evaporate. You could probably throw it on the lawn but I never tried that.

Mike

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Terry I have run about 20 bowls thru mine and I just add a gallon when I think it needs it. When I did change mine a year ago I just sat it out with a bucket and it just evaporated.

Terry Achey
09-28-2008, 11:53 PM
Thanks, Mike and Bernie. Sounds like I can top it off for quite a while yet before I let it gas off.

Terry

Don Eddard
09-29-2008, 12:35 AM
I've had a few gallons of DNA going for a couple of years in a sealed 5 gallon bucket, and have probably added 5 or 6 gallons to the bucket over that period of time. I'm pretty sure I'm replenishing the alcohol faster than the water is significantly diluting it.

Gary Max
09-29-2008, 7:03 AM
I used mine as a lighter fluild for the woodburner in the shop.

Frank Kobilsek
09-29-2008, 9:08 AM
Terry

My Test: I flick some from the DNA soak pail on to the conrete floor of the shop. If it doesn't dry up in about 1/2 hour it needs to be dumped and replaced. A five gallon pail lasts me most of a year. It takes maybe 2 gallons to make the intial fill of my container, then I add as needed.

Disposal: Pour it on the burn pile or on the gravel section of driveway to evaporate. It is not very flamable when it is ready to be disposed of.

Frank

Mike Ramsey
09-29-2008, 10:09 AM
I pour it on my burn pile, but I live out in the sticks where this is allowed.

Lee DeRaud
09-29-2008, 10:19 AM
I know there is a method to measure specifc gravity and calcuate the actual moisture content, but the process requires an investment in accurate scales and, frankly, too much math for my liking. :D Wouldn't think you'd need scales: one of those cheap widgets (hygrometers?) used to test batteries does the same thing. Just get a reading from pure water and another from fresh DNA to calibrate it.