PDA

View Full Version : Goofy Request

Matt Bridges
05-14-2004, 10:05 PM
My wife and I were watching the finale of Survivor: All Stars and she asked me if I've ever turned a pen out of a wood that is native to those islands. I said I've used South American woods, but have no idea what part of South America they come from or what species of tree is native to those islands. I'm assuming there's not much of a timber industry there so it's have to be a tree that is also native to the mainland. Do any of you have any idea where I could find out the native vegetation of the islands? Thought it'd be kind of interesting to look up.

Matt

Todd Burch
05-14-2004, 11:49 PM
The first Survivor episode was near Figi. Then there was Amazon and Australia - maybe others too. I lost interest after the first season.

Matt Bridges
05-15-2004, 10:17 AM
Sorry for not being specific in my first post....All Stars was filmed in The Pearl Islands

Matt

Martin Shupe
05-15-2004, 10:45 AM
I think those are in Panama, or near Panama. That means you are looking for a type of wood native to Central America. I don't know the answer, but here are some suggestions. Find info on the web on Panama and its natural resources. Try to find a list of native tree species, then try to find a place to get the wood. You might also call the Panamanian embassey, or consulate. There may also be a Panamanian website, most likely for tourism, and you may be able to ask the question there.

Let us know what you find out.

Rod Torgeson
05-15-2004, 10:57 AM
Matt..Here is a link to some woods from the Panama region.
http://tndwoodpens.bravepages.com/woods.html
Hope this helps.
Rod in Appleton, WA

Jason Roehl
05-15-2004, 11:10 AM
Borneo, Australian Outback, Africa, Marquesas, Thailand, Amazon, Pearl Islands, Panama, in that order....not that I've ever watched.....(go Rupert!) :D

I do still want to see an "ultimate Survivor"--throw them out there with just the clothes on their backs, no handouts---no fire, no water, no food. You're off when you're declared "medically unfit" to continue. :eek:

Matt Bridges
05-15-2004, 1:45 PM
Thank you for all the help.

Rod, that's a great website, thanks for the URL

Jason, I agree GO RUPERT! I'm a forever Hoosier turned Volunteer and I was voting for Rupert all the way.

Matt

Greg Heppeard
05-15-2004, 2:59 PM
OK guys....I think they should make one in the US....Colorado maybe...lost in the woods with bears? Or maybe do one dropping them in NYC or Chicago with only the clothes on their backs...no money, no credit cards, to check cards, etc. Death Valley could be another place....Time to bring it home.

Dale Thompson
05-15-2004, 9:46 PM
Matt,
What am I missing? ;)

Dale T.