PDA

View Full Version : Cedar turnings

Tom Lewis
09-28-2008, 3:28 PM
Awhile back I started a thread and asked about cedar finishes. One suggestion was to use no finish and just buff with the Beal system. I did that, and really like the way it turned out.
In the picture, the large turning was finished with Min-Wax poly wipe on. The other three were just buffed with the beal system.
I really like how the beal system worked on the cedar. There is no finish to be disolved by the cedar resin, and I think it leaves a great finish.

Ron McKinley
09-28-2008, 3:37 PM
I recently used that on some Hollywood Juniper turnings which is very similar to cedar. I only used the Tripoli wheel since I didn't want to mask the aroma with a wax coating........Ron

Steve Schlumpf
09-28-2008, 5:03 PM
Very nice turnings Tom! Great looking vase! From the photo, about the only difference I notice in the finish between the vase and the bowls is that the poly darkens the color slightly - which to me looks great. The bowls all have a really nice form to them and probably should have their own photo just to show them off! Glad you found a means of finishing your bowls that still allows the cedar aroma - I'll have to keep that method in mind.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-28-2008, 9:01 PM
Very nice job on the Juniper wood Tom, for now the HF looks the best IMO, but yes the beautiful color doesn't stay :-((.
I have a link here to a good amount of info on the Juniper species if you are interested in it, we don't have any true native Cedar in North America, (Lebanon Cedar is one of a couple of true Cedars) and the so called Cedars here are either Juniper (like what we call Eastern Red Cedar) or Thuja, (Western Red Cedar and Eastern White Cedar) and a few more.

Tom Lewis
09-28-2008, 10:26 PM
This is a picture of the cedar bowls with no finish except the beal buffing system. Even though I used all three beal buffing wheels and finishes, the cedar smell is still strong.

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2008, 10:27 PM
Great looking turnings. I really like the vase.

Allen Neighbors
09-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Beautiful bowls. Well done! :)

Leo Van Der Loo
09-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Yes Tom they certainly are worth their own picture, they are very nice bowls, thanks for showing.