PDA

View Full Version : Indianapolis Airport

Ron Hardy
09-28-2008, 2:41 PM
This is directed at anyone in or around Indianapolis. Around the middle of November I'll probably be picking up my daughter and New Granddaughter at the Indy airport. I live in Central Illinois. The reason for the Indy Airport is there is a direct flight from Boston. I am a little familiar with the area around Indy as I have attended the Marc Adams Woodworking school before. What I would like to know is how east or difficult is it to get into and out of the Airport. Chicago and St Louis will not work.
Thanks for any help.
Ron

Matt Meiser
09-28-2008, 3:02 PM
Its been a long time since I was there, but when I was in college in Terre Haute I dropped off a roommate at the airport a couple times. I don't remember it being any trouble at all. Its a smaller airport and I thought I just saw something about them rebuilding their terminal which usually means things get easier.

Ken Garlock
09-28-2008, 4:49 PM
Hi Ron. It has 4 or 5 years since I have been by the airport. As I recall, you have access to it directly from I-70.

Do a google on "Indianapolis Airport," and it will show you a map.

David Freed
09-28-2008, 5:34 PM
I drive in that area all the time. There is an exit from I-70 to the airport, but I think that is a commercial traffic entrance. I-465, exit 11B, takes you in where you need to go. I would guess you will be parked and walking into the building in 10 or 15 minutes after hitting the exit. They did a major renovation just recently.

It is the 1st exit above I-70, 4th below I-74, on the west side of Indy.

Jeffrey Makiel
09-28-2008, 5:51 PM
I've only flown into Indy once about 2 years ago. It was a lot more civilized than Chicago's O'Hare which I'm all too familiar with. Even Chicago's Midway Airport can be difficult since they both share the same crowded air space.

-Jeff :)

Ken Fitzgerald
09-28-2008, 11:40 PM
Ron,

I flew into Indy 2 years ago. It's an easy to navigate place right off the interstate. I didn't have any trouble. You won't either. I rented a car. Drove to my aunts farm some 50 miles away and found my way back to the airport in heavy fog.

It really is pretty handy compared to some of the airports I have flown into and drove into the first time.

Mike Null
09-29-2008, 7:24 AM
Take I70 to I465 north and exit at the Airport Expressway. Once you exit I70to 465 you're only a few minutes away. It is one of the easier airports to navigate.

Woody VonDielingen
09-29-2008, 7:40 PM
Ron, the new Indy terminal opens Nov 12 and the main access will be directly off of I70, a couple miles west of I465. No need for concern as it should be very easy to get to or from.
Woody

Roger Bell
09-29-2008, 9:00 PM
I fly in and out of Indianapolis regularly (non-resident). Compared to most airports in comparable sized cities, I find it fairly easy to negotiate.

Ron Hardy
09-29-2008, 9:11 PM
Thanks to all you who have responded. The info you gave will be very helpful. This will be the first time I see the new Granddaughter and I am really looking forward to it. I haver been to Ohara and Midway and st Louis . They all can be a pain but none of them had a direct flight that I would settle for.
Again thanks a lot.
Ron

Ken Fitzgerald
09-29-2008, 9:13 PM
Ron,

I have been to Ohare, Midway and St. Louis. There is no comparison! Indy is much easier to get to. I flew in, rented a car, drove out, drove in and flew out. You will do fine!