PDA

View Full Version : Bench Dog extension/extension

Joe Johnson MI
09-28-2008, 2:20 PM
Since this is my first post, let me thank the forum in general for some recent help in deciding some tools to purchase. I've wanted to do woodwork for a while, but haven't taken the plunge into getting the tools necessary to get started. But, having recently purchased an old Victorian style home that needs some finishing up, I thought now was a good time to invest and add a personal touch. I like working with my hands, so hope to have fun while adding some charm and beauty to our new home.

While shopping around I noticed that many of my searches took me here for advice. So, I've been snooping and lurking. But now I plan on using this resource as much as I can. Who knows, maybe I'll learn enough to contribute one of these days. I looked for a forum for introductions of newbies, but couldn't find it. Maybe I missed it, but for now, "Good to meet y'all."

Beginning tools:
I already had a Craftsman compound miter saw, and didn't want to spend any more than my straining budget has already endured.
Budget contraints dictated an inexpensive drill press, so I bought the Craftsman 12 inch for 200. It has decent reviews, and I just couldn't justify more; especially since I made this purchase last.
I have a small Porter Cable compressor with stapler, brad nailer and finish nailer that came together in a combo deal at Home Depot.
Wrestling with which way to go on a table saw and knowing that I wanted both a table saw and router table, I looked around for a combination. Sears had the portable combo for sale at 400. But the reviews were not so great, unless one knew they were getting sub par performance but saw the benefits in portability. Then I found out that the Craftsman OR35505 (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00922114000P?vName=&cName=&sName=&mv=cmp) was on sale for $350, so I jumped on it. At over 350 pounds, definitely not portable.
The router really was an easy pick. The reviews both here and other places often pointed back to the Bosch 1617 EVSPK, so I found the best price I could on a new one (eBay provided, about 200, including shipping).
For a router table I looked at a lot of advice. I really didn't want to start out building my own. It would have been fun, but time is a bit of an issue, and I don't think the missus wants to keep waiting around for projects to get finished while I play shop. And, since my tools are in the basement, I really don't have a whole lot of space. The Bench Dog ProMax (http://www.benchdog.com/promax.cfm)has good reviews, and several here mentioned that they've been pleased, so I ordered it.

Question:
Now I'm in the process of setting things up. One thing I did not understand was that the Bench Dog replaces my extension, rather than adding to it. I thought I was widening my table when I made the purchase. However, now I'm wondering if I can attach my Bench Dog to my ts extension plate in order to widen my platform. I'm not really thinking I should drill my current extension plate to accomodate the Bench Dog, so am considering taking them to a local machine shop to see how they'd do it. Then, to support the double extension I could use some heavy gauge angle iron attached where the two extensions meet and supported at the base where the EZ roll platform is attached to my table saw.
I know there are other ways to give myself a wider table, but my tool budget is pretty much shot. Are there any problems inherent in doing it this way? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim Becker
09-28-2008, 3:26 PM
It would certainly be possible to attach the Bench Dog extension to your existing wings if you choose to do so. You will just have to drill the appropriate holes and construct a proper support setup for the weight. (Legs)

John Keeton
09-28-2008, 3:56 PM
Welcome to the creek! As Jim said, just drill the holes and bolt it on. You could construct the legs a variety of ways.

Cast iron drills easily, but I found that center punching the hole, then starting with a much smaller bit, and switching to the size you need prevents "creep" or "walking" of the bit.

Also, I would drill one set of the holes (either in the extension or the Benchdog) a 32nd or so larger in order to have some wiggle room so you can flush up the two.

Joe Johnson MI
09-28-2008, 8:28 PM
Thanks guys. I was looking at it tonight and think I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Heh, first post and it was in the wrong forum. Thanks for moving it.

Lon LeBlanc
09-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Joe,

Welcome aboard and good luck on the projects. Come back often. You'll find this a friendly place to visit.

Lon in California

Joe Johnson MI
09-29-2008, 10:23 PM
I got it substantially complete today. Since much of my stuff has been in storage for several months, I'm having a hard time finding many of my tools. But, after searching for a bit, I did find everything I needed.
I took your advice, John, and drilled it myself. Rather than running the bolts through and using the provided nuts and lockwashers, I decided to tap it. After clamping the Bench Dog extension to the ts extension I marked my holes, then took it all apart and center punched them as you advised.
The bolts provided are 5/16. I was a bit perplexed on the recommended drill bit size - F. What does that mean? I tried 15/64, but couldn't get my tap to bite, so went up to 1/4. It worked well.
The extensions bolted together perfectly, except for the fact that my ts surface is a touch concave, giving me a slight difference where the Bench Dog and ts extension meet. But it all came out well. Right now it's just supported with a piece of wood. Tomorrow I'll pick up some angle iron or flat stock to make a couple of supports for it.

Thanks again for the advice. It worked great... so far.

Bob Kassmeyer
09-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Joe, drill bits are sized differently. There are fractional, numeric, alphabetical. An F size drill bit would be .257 where the 1/4 inch bit you used would be .250, .007 of an inch smaller. The only reason I can think of for this is that you would have hundreds of bits sized by decimals otherwise. Bob

Joe Johnson MI
09-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks Bob. Doubt that'll ever come up in Trivial Pursuit, but it's good to know. :D

Greg Cole
09-30-2008, 1:59 PM
Joe,
I take the cast iron extension off the left of my saw, put a router table in it's place and install the extension on the right. I wind up with a large surface for supporting sheet goods for rips & cross cuts etc. It only take a couple minutes to drill the holes needed in the cast iron, a center punch and a cordless drill are all that you'd need. A little cutting oil always helps when drilling thicker metal as well....
I will also mention I have very long rails on my TS at 96" with additional leg supports under the "double cast iron" extension on the right side.
FWIW, I'm on my second saw with this configuration.

Greg

James White
09-30-2008, 2:14 PM
Greg,

That is an excellent idea. I think I may try it. I installed my Bench Dog on the right side in order to widen the work area. Were your solution takes care of that desire. What is the arguments against putting the router table on the right? Is it just the need for a support leg?

James

Neal Clayton
09-30-2008, 4:23 PM
the main thing is the inconvenience of having to take bit and fence out of it to move the table saw fence past the router.

if that doesn't bother you, or if you're using the table saw fence for the router fence too, go for it.

Greg Cole
09-30-2008, 4:58 PM
James,
I can't put my RT on the right side as I use an Incra fence on the TS and share the fence-positioner with the router. The Incra fence has a "bridge" from front to rear rail that the positioner slides through... so I have to put it on the left.
If you have a Beisemeyer style fence the router can go on the right quite nicely.
When I organize things well (usually between the ears moreso that in the shop) I don't have to swap back and forth, and I've learned to be more organized "that way" as swapping over a few times a day gets on my nerves....
If you want to see what it looks like, you can scroll down a ways here and see my set up....
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=92159&highlight=35361

Greg

Joe Johnson MI
10-01-2008, 12:17 AM
Joe,
I take the cast iron extension off the left of my saw, put a router table in it's place and install the extension on the right. I wind up with a large surface for supporting sheet goods for rips & cross cuts etc. It only take a couple minutes to drill the holes needed in the cast iron, a center punch and a cordless drill are all that you'd need. A little cutting oil always helps when drilling thicker metal as well....
I will also mention I have very long rails on my TS at 96" with additional leg supports under the "double cast iron" extension on the right side.
FWIW, I'm on my second saw with this configuration.

Greg
Thanks Greg,
I thought about that. I already have a 12 inch extension on the right, so the second extension might have been nice. But adding the Bench Dog to my left extension gives me more surface on that side than I would have gained if putting the extension on the right. I hope I said that right. :rolleyes: And I tend to like to work on the left side, if possible. Also, with my tilt on the right it would have been difficult to brace the second extension on that side. The fence rails are aluminum, so probably not much help in that department.
Today I finished my support by using two pieces of square tubing attached to the bolts joining my extension to the Bench Dog and running down to my portable frame. That way the whole thing is still mobile. It seems very sturdy, and the Bosch 1617 ESV bolted on nicely. I did have to drill a hole for the adjustment wrench (allen) to pass through the mounting plate though.
Hopefully I'll be making some sawdust soon. Right now it's just metal filings. But duty demands my time in other areas for the next couple of days. Besides, I don't have any router bits yet. :( But they're on the way. :)

Thanks for the input. If anyone can think of anything I need to aware of in such a set up, please let me know. It seems pretty clean to me, but...

EDIT:
Here are a couple of pix: (http://picasaweb.google.com/jkeithjohnson/Shop?authkey=1fyHrGcnMko#)
http://lh3.ggpht.com/jkeithjohnson/SOOExLhL8pI/AAAAAAAAAm8/07McAPSKde8/s128/101_0044.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/jkeithjohnson/SOOFC9sRzmI/AAAAAAAAAn0/KOjMzuc2UCQ/s128/101_0051.JPG