PDA

View Full Version : Lasered Mural Tiles Question

Zeev Goldin
09-28-2008, 1:35 PM
Hi.
At the last show in Long Beach I have seen this company www.lasertiles.com
They are selling Tiles that are laserable and the application is Mural tiles on walls of homes hotels offices etc. They are talking like it is the next big thing.
Offcourse they want to sell I get that. But it does look like it has some potential.
Obviously I am not buying their $9000 all included package that has like 60 different designs.
But I wanted to know if anybody here has got into that aspect of the laser business and if anybody had any success with it?
Who were Your clients? Private clients or architects, interior designers? Maybe a construction company?
Any info would help.

Zeev Goldin

Joe Pelonio
09-28-2008, 2:01 PM
That's come up a couple of times before if you search back a couple of years.
The general consensus was that it's not worth what they want for the system, and the fact that the products have not shown up for sale anywhere visible after all this time means it probably isn't going to make anyone rich. I did see some for sale at a classic car swap meet booth 2-3 years ago and was not impressed with the quality. People looked at them a lot but no one was buying, the prices on them were way more than people are willing to spend at such events.

Zeev Goldin
09-28-2008, 2:58 PM
Thanks Joe.
O yeah for sure the equipment they are offering does not worth it.

Zeev Goldin
09-28-2008, 4:57 PM
Hey Joe.
I tried searching on this forum but did not find much only a bunch of posts of people looking for tile supplies.

Rags Alan Ragland
09-28-2008, 7:16 PM
Zeev
I have used their tiles a lot and just finished 59 plaques for a high school reunion whre I put the old high school that is now torn down on each plaque. I also made a mural of 16 tiles of the same building, and it sold for $200.00 at auction and will be donated to the town museum.
I think their "complete" system is way too expensive, but I love their tiles.
Dr. Rags

Epilog 36EXT 75W, Rayzist sandblaster, corel X3, chroma Craft

Zeev Goldin
09-28-2008, 8:04 PM
So do You have a store front and market the tiles that way?
Or You acctually send samples? Or did You talk to some interior designers?
Also what settings You use? And also if You can I would love to see photos of What You did if You have.

Zeev

Pete Simmons
09-28-2008, 8:18 PM
I use the tiles often and like them.

I have done just a few of the tiled images. Mostly I just do 1 tile in a frame. Also a few tiles for kitchen back splashes and in a shower.

The tiles are good because they are consistant and repeatable. Unlike marble where you are never quite sure how it will work out until you do it.

Speed around 55 Power=100 for a 35watt Mini-18

Joe Pelonio
09-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Hey Joe.
I tried searching on this forum but did not find much only a bunch of posts of people looking for tile supplies.
My mistake, it seems, I thought you were talking about this:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=50986&highlight=color+tile

Zeev Goldin
09-28-2008, 10:35 PM
Hahahaha.
O yeah I remeber that process.

Zeev Goldin
09-30-2008, 11:12 PM
So did anybody try to etch a photograph on the tiles? And if so which parameters did You use with the Photograv?

Pete Simmons
10-01-2008, 7:21 AM
They work fine with photos.

Photograv = Cherry

The Cherry setting seems to work fine on most anything.

Anthony Welch
10-01-2008, 7:40 PM
The thing about "laser tiles" is that I go straight from grayshade to engraving. I get excellent results w/o going through Photograv on these.

Anthony

Zeev Goldin
10-02-2008, 12:34 AM
So just transform it to greyscale? and thats it?

Anthony Welch
10-02-2008, 4:45 PM
I didn't come up with it on my own though. Someone here mentioned some time back that is the way he did it. So I tried it and haven't changed.

Lisa Higginbotham
10-05-2008, 9:12 PM
I hadn't heard $9,000 -- maybe they have upped the price. We fell for the sales pitch. We are Platinum dealers. A big selling point for us was the advertising -- Platinum dealers were to be listed on the website, and we were, for a while. Now they have removed the list, and one has to inquire and 3Score will send you information about dealers in your area. That was not at all what we agreed to.

We're currently fighting this battle and basically have asked for our money back, which 3Score is refusing to do. It's a long, ugly story but I think the end result will be that we were ripped off to the tune of $8,000.

Do NOT buy into their program. I will change my opinion of them if they show they believe in their product and are on the level by refunding our money, but I'm pretty sure I was conned.

Long story. There is alot more. Buyer beware. If all I do is save my fellow engravers from being ripped off, then I'll be satisfied. But when (if) we see them in Vegas next year we will be very vocal.

Jim Good
10-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Lisa,

Has Paul been able to give you examples of some of these large jobs that have been mentioned? I'd like to see some of these examples and talk with the dealer that acquired these jobs. Seems like references shouldn't be a problem to provide.

Jim

Lisa Higginbotham
10-06-2008, 10:44 AM
We have asked for references, he has provided none. Several people on the Engravers Etc forum asked specifically for installation locations as well as "successful dealers" and he has provided none. He told Mick Eminger that if he (Mick) was interested, call him and they can talk. Yet he refers to their "most successful dealers" and the highly successful corporate environment. He told my advisor/backer that the money was in the hotel industry because they were spending alot of money on the tile -- but Joe (my backer) called him on it because Joe has alot of investments in the hotel industry and there is NO money there. Hotels are losing money and doing everything they can to stop the bleeding. Joe is extremely savvy in the financial arena.

Like you, I am very aware that if there was so much success with the product he would not have any qualms showing pictures and naming names. Also I would think the dealers themselves would post pictures on their websites. Yet all I see on the websites are the stock photos we were supplied by 3Score.

Zeev Goldin
10-06-2008, 11:52 AM
It is said to hear that Lisa. It is not fear.
I guess if that money will bring You work its worth it. Did You make any sales for those mural tiles?

Lisa Higginbotham
10-07-2008, 8:27 PM
I wanted to post that after getting all our signals crossed and not communicating like we both should have, Paul Hodge and I had a good conversation today. I also spoke with 2 other dealers of the product who are having good success with it and they were both able to reignite the fire in me that initially started when I saw them at the Vegas ARA show in February. I hope we are back on track and look forward to growing our businesses and getting this great product out in some high profile places.

Zeev Goldin
10-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Great to hear that Lisa would You mind to share who were the other two dealers that had success with the products I would love to speak with them.

Lisa Higginbotham
10-08-2008, 7:35 AM
Sure. I spoke with Jennifer at Innovational Expressions, 219-663-6297 and Eric Aamodt at The Aamodt Companies 612-240-0807. Jennifer was especially helpful. They have recently moved into a new 9,000 sf facility and are cranking wide open with the LTM laser (which is really an amazing machine, albeit pricey. But if you can be successful with it, then the price is not an issue. That's where I want to get eventually.)

Zeev Goldin
10-15-2008, 3:42 PM
Thank You Lisa for that info I did talk to Paul again he kinda failed to answer a question that I had maybe some one here can help me.
I was wondering if we are supposed to go and sell to the architects and interior designers how should we convince them to use this specific way of marking tile-lasering . Because I saw that there is couple of different ways to mark tile sublimation drawing etc.
I guess what should we tell them in order to persuade to use our technology?

Somebody?

Wesley Perreira
10-17-2008, 3:10 AM
I've seen a brochure for these laser tiles and really thought about trying to get some but when I went onto the site to find the nearest dealer, I had to fill out all my info and some guy from OR sent another brochure.:confused: Anyone know of a lasertile dealer a little closer to Hawaii? Are they easy to get and sold everywhere on the mainland? Sorry to runoff with this thread, but I didn't want to start another one on the same subject...:o

Cindy Rhoades
10-18-2008, 8:20 AM
Lisa is their wildlife artwork as good as it really looks? Right now I caan't afford the artwork but I love what it looks like. I am having a real hard time finding good artwork of wildlife. I saw you are a dealer and should have gotten their artwork.

Lisa Higginbotham
10-18-2008, 9:15 AM
Lisa is their wildlife artwork as good as it really looks? Right now I caan't afford the artwork but I love what it looks like. I am having a real hard time finding good artwork of wildlife. I saw you are a dealer and should have gotten their artwork.
They do have some beautiful wildlife images, yes. I love my Tiger Eyes mural, it is gorgeous. The question is -- do you have a market for it? What I find is many customers want their own images. But what the wildlife package offers you is existing art, that has already been drawn and prepped to go large. Rather than buying the big package, why not consider buying use of a single image or two? Or just one art package?

Lisa Higginbotham
10-18-2008, 9:19 AM
I've seen a brochure for these laser tiles and really thought about trying to get some but when I went onto the site to find the nearest dealer, I had to fill out all my info and some guy from OR sent another brochure.:confused: Anyone know of a lasertile dealer a little closer to Hawaii? Are they easy to get and sold everywhere on the mainland? Sorry to runoff with this thread, but I didn't want to start another one on the same subject...:o
The dealers on the site are for finished product. We are a dealer, but we do not sell blank product. If you want to buy blanks you should contact the West Coast distribution, which I believe is 3Score direct, whereas on the East Coast they have East Coast Laser Tile for selling blank froducts to laserists.

Zeev Goldin
10-18-2008, 4:11 PM
Lisa how would You prove Your point when talking to a potential costumer to use Laser engraved tiles VS Sublimated tiles?
I mean sublimation offers You color it is more or less same price and not that hard to do as draw on the tiles?

Pete Simmons
10-18-2008, 4:19 PM
How do Sublimated tiles last in conditions such as a shower or a swimming pool??

The laser tiles can be used in a shower.

Zeev Goldin
10-18-2008, 5:04 PM
I heard that sublimated tiles are ok for showers water pools etc. But cannot have a direct sun exposure anybody can confirm that?
If that is true the only difference will be that You can have lasered tiles with direct sun at it. But is a weak selling point because at least 90% of the projects will be indoors.
So I ask again what would You say when You want to sell this thing that will be an advantage VS Sublimation? And to honest the sales rep down at Lasertile could not really answer that he avoided it a bit stating that I should offer sublimation as well.