PDA

View Full Version : hollow form critique welcome

John Nowack
09-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Would like your thoughts on things to improve on--be easy on me because I have only been turning for a year--this is the first form like this I have tried (3rd hollow form ever)--my hand writing sucks so I basically ruined it by signing it but it is to late now

This was turned for an auction to benifit my friend Laura's children--she passed away in her sleep at age of 31--not sure why---her family has a history of uncommon heart problems but this was a total shock

The base is maple or hackberry I think---the finial is cottonwood that I died black with leather die--the completed form with finial is about 7x7--laquer finish

I had no idea how to turn the finial and make sure it blended into the form---I ended up just drilling a hole with a forsner bit and then ruff turned the finial and inserted it into the form and blended it---it worked but it does not fit properly and has to be turned the right way to fit flush

sorry for rambling--your advise on how to make one look better next time is appreaciated

Bill Dunn jr
09-28-2008, 1:42 PM
That is a great looking piece John. Keep them coming

ROY DICK
09-28-2008, 2:23 PM
I really like it. And what a very nice gesture on your part.

Steve Schlumpf
09-28-2008, 5:22 PM
John - sorry to hear about your friend! You are to be commended for stepping up and contributing something you created specifically to help out her kids! Thanks for setting a great example!

As far a 'soft' critique on the hollow form: The form itself looks good but it is hard to gauge the exterior curve without seeing a good profile shot. The wood is beautiful and your finish brings out all the curl and color - very nice work on that!

The only area that can use some refinement is the collar/finial. That probably is the hardest area for all of us as you want to blend the collar into the rest of the form and you want to turn a finial that is unique and compliments the turning.

First suggestion would be to do some searches here and take a look at how some of the other turners have addressed the finial issue. The first 2 folks I would suggest taking a look at are Keith Burns and Neal Addy.

Second suggestion is to go through Travis Stinson's tutorial on collars. It covers all your questions on how to blend the collar and finial. Check it out: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45323

Hope that helps out some. Again - that's a good looking hollow form, especially for your third! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

John Nowack
09-28-2008, 5:44 PM
thanks for the time to look at it and give me an experianced review---LOML and niebors went back and forth on a finial or not and I originally invisioned something pointed---my skill level reverted me back to what was easy becuse I did not want to mess up and not finish

I will check some of your recomended posts and fill the vault with some better ideas

thanks again---you guys are a wealth of knowledge---it helps keep a beginner wanting to stick with the hobby rather than getting frustrated and give up

John Nowack
09-28-2008, 6:18 PM
this may show the profile better but a really bad pic

Jim Becker
09-28-2008, 7:23 PM
John, thanks for the additional picture.

While this comment is obviously subjective, I think that the form could benefit from a more continuous curve to a more traditional southwestern form....or...a continuous curve that perfects the "donut" shape that exists so that it is symmetrical. I do agree with Steve that if you can work on making the collar a little lighter, it will blend better with the main piece.

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2008, 10:33 PM
That is a very nice looking HF. I agree with Jim on the shape and also would have made the finial a little more delicate. The collar I would have blended in more without the abrupt square edge. Heres are a couple of the pictures lightened up some and makes it easier to see. Cindy Drozda has two excellent DVD's on doing finials. She takes you every step of the way explaining everything she does.