PDA

View Full Version : Exhuast Fan

Jim Summers
09-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Hello All,

I have a Jet AFS1000B air cleaner. I was wondering if anyone knows if it has a brushless / sparkless motor in it?

I was considering using it as an exhaust fan when I am spraying finish but thought if the motor is creating sparks it may not be a good idea. I do have the charcoal filter also.

I also have an old blower motor from an HVAC system. I can't visually see any sparks while it is running. Any way to determine if it might be safe to use for exhausting?

TIA

Jim Finn
09-29-2008, 12:14 AM
"I also have an old blower motor from an HVAC system. I can't visually see any sparks while it is running." ,,,,,,,,,Those motors are induction motors with no brushes(only what are called universal Motors have brushes) so no sparks.

Jack Briggs
09-29-2008, 7:36 AM
If you want to spray lacquer, et al, you must have an explosion-proof fan motor. Grainger has a good selection.

Jim Summers
09-29-2008, 9:10 AM
If you want to spray lacquer, et al, you must have an explosion-proof fan motor. Grainger has a good selection.

So do you think the blower motor I have would be considered explosion proof?

Mr. Finn indicates that his blower motor is an induction type.

I can't see any places on the housing that you could unscrew to replace brushes nor do I see any sparks. I will run it in the dark to verify.

What is an explosion proof motor?

Many Thanks,
jim

Jeff Duncan
09-29-2008, 9:23 AM
An explosion proof motor is a very expensive unit that is completely sealed against any air getting into or out of the motor casing. It's much more costly to make as the parts much be machined to higher tolerances to achieve that seal.
An explosion proof fan on the other hand is usually a unit where the motor is not in the path of the airflow. It's mounted outside the fan enclosure and drives the fan via a v-belt running through a tube to the fans pulley. Also known as tube axial fans.
In short, my understanding is that whether or not you see sparks, there is current flow inside the motor which has the ability to ignite if there is enough fuel and air. So why take the chance?
Of course you could just spray water based, but that's a whole other post altogether.
good luck,
JeffD

Jeffrey Makiel
09-29-2008, 9:37 AM
Some induction motors have a centrifugal switch which turns off the start capacitor when the motor achieves a certain percentage of its rated speed. This can produce a spark at the contacts of the centrifugal switch. However, given the small size of this motor, your motor may not or may not have a start capacitor. But the advise given above is still valid for other reasons stated.

An explosion proof blower also includes the way the fan housing is constructed as to prevent ferrous-to-ferrous metal contact of moving parts such as the fan wheel and the fan housing.

Overall, using this fan/motor as 'explosion proof' is a bad idea.

-Jeff :)

Don Abele
09-29-2008, 5:59 PM
Jim, I have the same air cleaner and it is not explosion proof. Personally, I would not use it to clean the air of flammable mist/vapor. The chance of a fire is too great. Spraying flammables requires a lot of ACTIVE ventilation - both supply and exhaust and this is not something you can do with the Jet.

In my opinion, if you really want to spray, either get the right ventilation equipment or stick with water borne stuff. We'd hate to read about something bad happening to you.

Be well (and safe),

Doc

Jim Becker
09-29-2008, 8:15 PM
What Doc said...