PDA

View Full Version : For followers of the DW 625 saga..

David Rose
05-14-2004, 7:30 PM
My 1 hour project turned into 4. I thought I was more of a mechanic than that, but I don't pull bearings often, so... That was just take down. To keep things compact, the main housing screws were hidden under the electronics. The whole job would have gone quicker if I hadn't found more sawdust at every turn to remove. At least it will start clean again! The bearings were the real buggers though. Nothing was obvious about directions of movement. The diagram is very cryptic. The parts list is worse. Housing screws are listed as "screw" and parts are not kept in alignment to show holes where things go. I guess we have it better in the gun industry than I realized. But it's all down and the part order has gone out. And I will get an extra nut for the separate "collet without the nut".

I did break one 85 cent plastic part trying to remove it. I still have no idea how a service center would do it, but I suspect just like I did. :) I hope the new one will go back on the splines. The lower bearing (next to the collet) was very stiff but not rough feeling. Some Triflow squirted on the seals immediately got in and freed it up so I know that dust would get in too. The upper bearing was a little "gritty" feeling so I spent the $7 for a new one of those too.

I hate taking something apart that I can not put right back together. I think the old brain waves are failing. But that is my only "sweat" to this point. Oh, and for some unknown reason the bad words didn't come. The frustration did, boyhowdy! Those bearings were something to break loose without breaking something or damaging a shaft. But the words stayed canned. :D Oh, and there was no opportunity to use a bearing puller. :confused:

David

Chris Padilla
05-14-2004, 7:46 PM
David, David, David...where o where are the pictures, my friend??? 1 demerit! :D

Robert Ducharme
05-15-2004, 12:16 AM
There is one thing that is really handy to do and that is to take pictures as you disassemble something. Especially if you will not be assembling it right away. With the advent of digital cameras, this becomes an inexpensive way to ensure it goes back together correctly. Since it seems that others have the same thing occurring, it might also give them a leg up on their repairs.

Ian Barley
05-15-2004, 1:43 AM
David

Thanks for posting this. I may well have a go at the corpse of my last fatality when I have a few hours to spare. Let us know how you get on with reassembly.

Regards

Ian

Dave Richards
05-15-2004, 7:36 AM
Thank you for keeping us informed about this repair. My 625 has been any problem but just in case, I know who can fix it. ;)

I think its great that you are tackling this yourself rather than sending it in for service. Just out of curiosity, did you log into the DeWalt service site? I don't know on the 625 but on a number of their tools they have documentation regarding the repair and replacement of parts. Maybe there's something useful on the 625.

Good luck. I'll be looking forward to the next installment.

Dave

David Rose
05-15-2004, 4:44 PM
Only 1 demerit?? Good! No? :D

David

David, David, David...where o where are the pictures, my friend??? 1 demerit! :D

David Rose
05-15-2004, 5:04 PM
To be honest, I was unsure that this post would be helpful. Sometimes my "thinker" is a little slow. :rolleyes: And I have to admit that while I was in the middle of fighting with a couple of parts, the camera was somewhat far from my mind.

But I do have and use the digital camera so I have no real excuse. Hence I accept the demerit. :D That is a great idea of a means to remember part placement! I think I will set a few pieces back in place to help a little and shoot them. Only with the camera. :)

Would pictures of things torn down be of any value here now? I know steps of disassembly would have been much better.

There are basically no notes on this particular tool on the DW site. :( I guess they figure either it is simple enough or smart people would take it in for service. I could have sure used a tip or two. Like I said, the diagram is helpful but only limitedly so.

So, if pics will help at this stage, I'll shoot some of the mess.

David

Dennis Peacock
05-15-2004, 7:40 PM
David,

I've had a DW625 for YEARS and it has never been touched and it is still running fine today. I believe mine has seen a LOT of use in the last 6 years. I have never even blown the dust out of it. I just keep on using it and using it and it trucks right along just like it don't know any different.

As long as it will stay running....I'll be as happy as "a gopher in soft dirt"!! :D

Bob_Hammond
05-15-2004, 7:42 PM
Maybe you could take pictures as you put it together and post them in reverse order. :)

Actually I'm interested, since I think you jinxed mine. It's becoming hard to turn by hand, and I worry that it's going.

Bob

David Rose
05-15-2004, 8:00 PM
Sorry Bob. I didn't do it, really. Dennis is closer. If I got one, it would be his. :D It's probably the "season" for Dewalt 625s.

I'll do my best to remember to take and post reassembly pics. Don't look for them in less than a week though. It should take about that long for the parts to arrive.

Btw, there are around 90 individual part numbers. I think I have it in about 70+ pieces.

David

Maybe you could take pictures as you put it together and post them in reverse order. :)

Actually I'm interested, since I think you jinxed mine. It's becoming hard to turn by hand, and I worry that it's going.

Bob