PDA

View Full Version : Is this maple log good for turning?

Mark McGee
09-28-2008, 8:01 AM
I have a maple (I think) tree in my woods that has been down for about a year. I cut it up with the chainsaw thinking I could use it for turning when I get a lathe. It does have some insect activity and mold in places where it was contacting the ground. But for the most part, the bark is intact.

Since I have no experience in green wood, I don't know what to look for in judging the usefulness of the wood. And I don't want to bring it in the house with insects in it. How should I prepare it for turning?

Bill Blasic
09-28-2008, 8:45 AM
The sap wood in your picture looks very punky, maybe it is the picture. I would leave it as long (Length of the piece) as you can and coat the ends with a wax emulsion (like Anchorseal) and store it off the ground out of the sun and hopefully when your ready (get your lathe) you can the cut it into the size you want to use and it will be serviceable.

Montgomery Scott
09-28-2008, 10:28 AM
You've got an opportunity to make you're own spalted maple with this round. The wood looks uninteresting otherwise. I agree that the outer sapwood has already been rotting for some time and won't be very useable.

robert hainstock
09-28-2008, 11:21 AM
You have what looks to be red or soft maple. You will need to chainsaw it in half lengthwise remove the batk, unless you want to try natural edge turning. To check on punakiness, I use an awl to test the depth of the decay. You will certainly have some SPALTING where it laid in the ground. This is desireable. Cut it up one blank at a time, and store the rest under cover off the ground. Use old two by'es or pallets under neath.
It is most likely pretty dry after a year. Good luck. :D
Bob